Monday, August 16, 2004

"If You Were Me, You'd Be Good Looking"

Just got done watching the movie Six String Samurai. It's a low-budget B film, but lots and lots of fun. The main character is a guitar-playing samurai named Buddy (as in Buddy Holly, whom the character's physical appearance is modelled after) who is wandering around in a post-apocalyptic world on his way to Lost Vegas, the last free city. Lost Vegas is in the market for a new King, as the King has just died (yes, Elvis was the King--this is a very bizzare movie), and Buddy thinks he'll fit the bill nicely. Along the way, he encounters an obnoxious orphan, murderous bowlers, Communist rock'n'rollers, the Russian Army, and Death, who is into heavy metal (Buddy's guitar style is something akin to late '50s surfer guitar, but it's very well-done surfer guitar). It's a funny, funny movie--I mean, it features a guy who carries around a guitar and a samurai sword, how could it not be funny? The movie really succeeds, though, because it never takes itself too seriously. When Death is in the middle of telling his henchmen that they've failed him for the last time and stops to comment on how much he likes the henchmens' shoes, and then you see him and his cohorts wearing those shoes in the very next scene...well, it's just too funny to believe, really.

Of course, it could just be that I really need more sleep. I'm not really sure.

In other news, my damn computer chair is broken. It broke middle of last week. The welding at the joint between the seat and the post that connects the seat proper to the lets has died, leaving me with a chair that I can sit in, but only if I don't lean back at all, and not very comfortably. Ah well. I think Dad has a chair out at the office which used to belong to my great-grandfather that I could use. This chair is older than I am, but it's constructed so solidly that it could take a direct hit with a nuclear bomb and still function...assuming you were wearing a hazzard suit and willing to sit in a radioactive chair.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Red Elvises, "Love Pipe"


No comments: