Wednesday, March 23, 2005

"We're Gonna Have A Good Time"

So my friends at work sorta surprised me this evening. It was about 6.00, when my shift ends and the night shift come in to take over and deal with all the student-athletes who have just remembered that they have a 5-7 page paper due tomorrow that they haven't started on yet. So Ev, Vicki, and Lindsay come in, and we sit and chat for a few minutes about this and that (mostly Ev and I chat about Wittgenstein, which is much more interesting than it sounds, honest). Then Amy, one of the morning crew, happens to come in to the Center. She gives Vicki a card we'd all signed earlier in the day (I got my card last night when I went in to tutor), and then just whips out a tray full of cupcakes she'd baked for us. Everyone breaks into "Happy Birthday," and we laugh and start eating cupcakes. Lindsay gave me a CD of stuff that the band she's in (called Tell Me Yarns, I believe) have recorded, which was spiffy (she also managed to misspell her name--Linsday--on the CD, which led to a wonderful discussion of naming a day of the week after her). It was just a really thoughtful gesture that totally made my day.

In other news, I may actually miss church on Easter for the first time in...well, my life, as far as I can remember. I always go to church on Easter. It just seems...appropriate, y'know? But there's not enough time to go to Shawnee and attend the service there before we're supposed to be in OKC at my aunt and uncle's for dinner at 1.00. I'm thinking about finding a church here in town to go to, but my fear of new places, crowds of people I don't know, and my general inability to drag my sorry carcass out of bed at a reasonable hour may inhibit me. I dunno. We'll just have to see what happens.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Norah Jones, "Come Away With Me"

No comments: