Wednesday, March 02, 2005

"Our Luck May Have Died"

Not much going on today. I've worked, and that's about it. Worked this morning, when I managed to get a comic done. Then I went home and spent most of the afternoon napping, which means I'll never get to sleep tonight. Then I came back to work and got another comic drawn, discussed the major differences between Asian religions, faiths, and philosophies compared to Western ones (the main thing Ev and I figured out is that the west treats everything as a substance, an object which can be grasped in some way. Look at the Christian notion of the Holy Spirit--it is a substance which fills an individual. Eastern faiths--and this is, of course, a broad generalization--tend to see faith and holiness as a state of being, a state of mind, a moment in which one exists, not something tangible. It's focus versus locus, which only makes sense if you've been sitting in on the conversations Ev and I have been having for the past few weeks, but oh well. I digress), and talked about how sad the state of education in Oklahoma high schools is (one of my coworkers, Vicki, teaches at Little Axe High School. It's out in the boonies, even for Oklahoma. Apparently she had to go to a meeting today where they were told to dumb down certain terms for the "at risk" kids; that is, the kids who aren't quite as swift or bright or whatever. And they've got words like "describe" and "predict" on there. I was very sad after hearing this).

Anyway, I'm glad it's almost the end of the week. I look forward to Friday arriving, because Lord am I ready for payday. I'm also ready to hear my uncle rock out, since he's playing here in Norman this weekend (and playing somewhere nearby basically every weekend for the next month or two, barring Easter weekend, when I'll be home anyway).

That's about it. The next half hour cannot go by fast enough.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wilco, "Muzzle of Bees"

No comments: