Monday, March 14, 2005

"Bathed In A Stream Of Pure Heat"

Work's been slow this morning. I did the crossword puzzle, I drew a comic, I putzed around the internet. We had one student come in, but he was here specifically to work with the Colonel's wife, so I had nothing to do with that.

The weekend went pretty well. Went and saw my uncle play again Satuday night, though I didn't stay the whole time 'cause I was tired. Yesterday, Ev came over and we watched some anime (Samurai Champloo and Project A-Ko, for those who're curious). That's really about all the excitement I've had going on. I'm ready for it to be Wednesday evening already. I'm ready to go hear the Wallflowers in concert up in Tulsa. But alas, it is but Monday, and I have two days to go.

Started reading Gulliver's Travels last night. The introduction to the book was quite interesting and went into a lot of detail about the various ways folks have viewed Swift's work over the years. He went from being a well-loved satirist to a demonized, misanthropic jerk over the course of a century or so, back to a good guy, back to a bad guy, and now I think he's generally viewed as an amazing writer whose work is worth reading...unless you're one of those people who doesn't want anyone thinking for themselves. But if that's the case, you probably don't like books much to begin with and you probably aren't reading this.

Anyway, I got it in my head that I want to try to read as many of the books on that top 110 banned books list as possible. I've only read all of 27 of them, and read bits and pieces of about another couple dozen. That's not even half. That's pathetic. I'm going to endeavor to read as many of the books as possible, which means I guess I know what I'll be reading over the next several months or until something else grabs my attention and shakes me violently.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Clean-Cut Kid"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

eh, just go to blockbuster and rent the movies.