Monday, June 20, 2005

"I Can't Get Through To Myself"

Foot was hurting worse this morning than it did when I went to bed last night. I think the acid buildup was shifting or something. Maybe I shouldn't prop my foot up when I go to sleep. On the positive side, sitting up seems to have helped immensely in terms of how my foot feels. We'll just have to see.

I was putzing around news sites earlier this afternoon, reading about the 80 year old Klansman on trial for 40 year old murders. Personally, I think it's probably a little late to be trying the man now, though I see how it would give the victims' survivors a sense of conclusion and all. But what really got me was this guy who was testifying for the Klansman. The article is here, but I'll recap the bit that I found jaw-dropping: the guy didn't think the Klan had ever done anything wrong. He believed the KKK (y'know, the guys who burned crosses and lynched people and preached hatred and bigotry...y'know, them) were a "peaceful organization." Now, is this a guy with his head buried in the sand (or up his ass) or what? I mean, honestly, even a cursory glance at the Klan's activities--especially in the 1960s--would reveal a group hell-bent on causing pain and death and destruction. I just...how can people be so freakin' blind to reality? It makes no sense to me.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bruce Springsteen, "Maria's Bed"

2 comments:

Chuck Cottrell said...

and it's stuff like that which makes me sad.

Noise Monkey said...

oh, white supremacists just need a big hug.


from a very hungry bear.