Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Eight Songs I Can't Stop Listening To Right Now

An idea borrowed from a friend's Live Journal that was probably borrowed from someone else's Live Journal, et cetera. Not sure why it's eight songs, but hey, whatever. So, in no particular order:

Regular Joes - Flame On, Fire of Love: a song by my uncle's band. It's got a beautiful All Things Must Pass-era George Harrison vibe to it, and would be a perfect song if it weren't for the singer's hammy vocals and mediocre lyrics (my uncle wrote the music part, though, and that's what I really pay attention to).

The Minus 5 - I'm Not Bitter: I learned to play this song the other day, so I've been listening to it almost constantly. Despite that, the song never gets old, and it sounds like Rubber Soul/Revolver-era Beatles, which is always a good quality in a song.

Led Zeppelin - Hey, Hey, What Can I Do: one of the greatest songs about a prostitute ever.

The Beatles - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away: the Beatles song that proves even Lennon and McCartney were listening to Bob Dylan back in 1964-65. Beautiful folk-rock feel and an impassioned, lovelorn vocal from Lennon make this one of my favorite Beatles songs.

Wallflowers - From the Bottom of My Heart: mostly just Jakob Dylan and an acoustic guitar, but he sounds more like his dad here than ever before. And when the rest of the band kicks in halfway through the song and it just builds...excellent.

Ryan Adams - Let It Ride: a fun country-rock tune that I swear could've fit on a Neil Young album.

Billy Bragg & Wilco - Blood of the Lamb: with lyrics by Woody Guthrie, you really can't go wrong. Wilco's interpretation of the lyrics and the music they set the words to are beautiful and somber, like a funeral march for God.

Ben Harper & the Blind Boys of Alabama - Well, Well, Well: a Southern blues/Gospel cover of a Dylan tune that's just downright haunting. The acoustic guitar is perfect, the harmonies are spot-on and bone-chilling, and the song just grabs you by the lapels.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Hey, I just listed 8 songs. Pick one.

No comments: