Monday, June 13, 2005

"Grab That Cash With Both Hands And Make A Stash"

Check this out. Don't get me wrong, Hawk (the guy who draws Applegeeks) is a fabulous artist. I love his style. But someone was willing to pay $650 for one of his sketches? Damn. Just...damn. As Hawk says in his post, the success of this auction has convinced him to make it a monthly thing. And hell, if your art fetched that much, wouldn't you? I mean, that's either rent or a heckuva mess of videogames all in one shot every month. Not too shabby, I must say.

A friend of mine actually tried to convince me to do something similar, though I don't think it'd work. Even if it did, I'd be happy (and probably very, very lucky) just to get five or ten bucks for something I drew...then again, there's nothing like the detail Hawk puts in one of his drawings in one of mine.

Anyway, yeah. Pretty amazing, really.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Isis (Live)"

2 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

I think it's as much a matter of being pretty high profile as webcomics go, too. I mean, you could draw like Hawk at our level and you'd still be lucky to get the $10 bucks. Or, be at his level and draw far less detailed and still wrangle a hefty amount of cash. All about positioning...poor us.

Chuck Cottrell said...

Yeah, it strikes me as strange that someone would pay $650 for just a sketch, even if it is quite good...but I guess the knowledge that one of the better known mid-range webcomickers out there drew the piece you've got is pretty alluring or whatever.