Sunday, May 08, 2005

"Nowhere Man Can You See Me At All?"

The weekend did not last long enough. Thursday after work, I went straight up to my grandparents' place, where I crashed for the night to avoid having to drive clear from Norman to Alva Friday morning (which would be followed by loading all Scott's crap and then driving back to Shawnee). That would've made for too long of a day. Cutting a good two hours of driving out helped, though I was still dead tired the whole day and drowsy for the drive home. Mom and I did stop at the Hideaway in Stillwater on the way home for dinner (best pizza ever). Scott would've been with us, but apparently the runt had a date Friday night, so he stayed in Alva and came home yesterday afternoon.

Spent Friday night playing guitar with dad. He showed a couple more songs (including Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight," which was much easier to play than I'd imagined) and seemed rather impressed with my improvement. It was a lot of fun, actually, though my legs hurt from sitting on the floor with the guitar in my lap for two hours.

Saturday, I came back to Norman and then went with Ev to our coworker Amy's place. Amy is teaching an intersession course on the Female Hero in Fantasy and wanted to do a trial run of one of her lectures. Several hours later, we'd done the lecture, chatted, listened to some music that Amy thought I'd like (which I did, actually), and basically spent about six hours there. Ev and I came home, and I finished watching Firefly.

I actually want to yak for a bit about that series. I got the DVDs last weekend, and I've already finished all 14 episodes. The original impetous for getting the collection was seeing the trailer for Serenity, the Firefly movie, before Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last weekend. The trailer got me hooked, and the series was as good--if not better--than I imagined it would be.

I'm a little sad I wasn't watching this show when it was actually on TV, though I get the feeling I may not have liked it as much--they aired shows out of order, editted and cut them all to hell, and didn't even air three episodes. And the show never really got a chance to resolve any of the big issues/questions it raised. None of them. Characters still had huge mysteries to them, things were just starting to really happen, and the series was cancelled. Stupid FOX. But I, like many people, have high hopes for the movie and even the possibility of another season of the show if the movie does well. Of course, I'm annoyed that I have to wait until like September to see the flick. That's pretty damn annoying.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "What Goes On"

No comments: