Monday, May 16, 2005

"If you're not going to kill me, I have things to do"

I come bearing photos from my siblings graduation, and they are a harbinger of impending doom and destruction.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here we see Clif as he walks up the center aisle to take his seat at the beginning of the ceremony. Note the cheese-eating grin. He wears that grin constantly.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The esteemable Dr. Stewart Dippel, my undergraduate advisor, addressing the graduates. He said warm and worthwhile stuff that most of them probably promptly forgot (he was a much better speaker than the Commencent Speaker guy was).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Noise Monkey's father receiving his diploma cover. What, I didn't say all the captions would be witty and humorous.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
My friend John Cooper getting his diploma cover. This picture would have been better had the girl in the cap and gown in the foreground not walked in front of me right as I was snapping the picture. No sense of timing, I swear.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Clyde gets his diploma cover. Both he and Dr. Niece, the President of the University of the Ozarks, seem very excited to finally my brother's scrawny butt out of U of O.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Cottrell siblings--me, Clyde, and Scott. There were about five cameras going at the same time, and none of us knew which one to face, so we all faced a different one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Clif with the paternal grandparents.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Parents, Scott, and I join Clif for a photo. Scott's fat head somehow managed to obscure Clif's face, even though Clyde's a good head taller. Strange.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I know all the people in this picture, I just can't remember the name of the girls on either end. I know the one in the striped top is Audrey, an Ozarks alum who currently attends OU (and yet I managed to see her more at Ozarks than I do here at OU. Weird).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Clif with the girl whom, it turns out, is his girlfriend. Yeah, my brother got a girlfriend three weeks before he graduated. Cottrells have the absolute worst timing known to man.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Clif with his lady friend once more. Note the look of smug satisfaction on his face.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Me and Amanda E., whom I hadn't expected to see at graduation but was nonetheless very pleased to see. This is the only picture I have of the two of us together, because she is of the impression that she is not attractive (which I think is a load of horse pucky myself). My theory is that she's just too embarrassed to be seen in public with me.

So yeah, it was a bit of a bittersweet weekend, really. Hard to believe that most of my close ties to Ozarks are gone now. Adam still lives in the area, of course, and so do my old professors, but the great majority of my friends are long gone now. I was commenting to Amanda that this was the last class at Ozarks where I knew anyone. Strange, really.

I also managed to grab a video of Clif playing his tuba at baccalaureate, but I don't know of any way to upload that so that you could get access to it (even assuming you wanted it). It was pretty neat, actually, but I know that tuba music isn't everyone's forte.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Tom Petty, "Crawling Back to You"

3 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

just a few notes...

That girl in Cooper's picture is Chad Bruce.

The other girls in the picture with Clif and Audrey are Hannah and Lauren.

And...can I get a link to the picture with my dad in it and the one where Clif gets his cover? They don't seem to be showing...

Chuck Cottrell said...

Hey, ridiculously long, girlish hair...looks like a girl to me.

Anyway, the links to the images you requested: your father's can be seen at http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/chaoscricket/Graduation/14.jpg

Clif getting his cover is http://photobucket.com/albums/v720/chaoscricket/Graduation/?action=view¤t=12.jpg

Chuck Cottrell said...

Let me try that again: Clif's pic
your dad's pic.

Hope it worked this time.