Thursday, May 12, 2005

"I Was Lyin' In A Burned-Out Basement"

Got my work schedule for the rest of the month today. Between this Sunday and the end of the month, I work a grand total of 36 hours. Y'know, what I usually work in a regular week. I'd forgotten how much I hate intersession schedules.

In other news, Peter Travers broke my heart with his review of Revenge of the Sith. Which won't stop me from going to see the movie, of course, but something he said did remind me of something I read back in 1999, when they were just getting ready to put out Phantom Menace. John Williams, the only man related to Star Wars who has never disappointed me, was talking about how he did the music to the films. He and George Lucas apparently think of the Star Wars films as essentially silent movies, with the music there to lend emotion and tension to the images. It would certainly explain Lucas' tin ear when it comes to writing dialogue.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Neil Young, "Southern Man"

4 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

I tend to lend more credit to the opinions of a certain Mr. Kevin "Silent Bob" Smith.

Anonymous said...

I concur. This guy's a reviewer for "Rolling Stone" for chrissake. He's all hip and anti-establishment. (*note: HEAVY sarcasm*).

Smith, Kevin = fanboy with the right state of mind to review the movie properly.

Plus, he's bitching about the dialog? Did he watch the original trilogy?

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

"Use the force, Luke."

"roowwrr!"

-They're definitely memorable, but I wouldn't consider it earth-shaking in quality. As long as Jar-Jar dies a quick death and they spend 30 seconds or less discussing "midichlorians", I'll be pleased. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that was from "-Dav-", by the by. :-p

Chuck Cottrell said...

If you paid any attention to the Episode II dialog (and if you didn't, I can't say that I really blame you...I mean, dear God), I don't think there's any mention of the cursed midichlorians in there at all. Which is good, 'cause I think otherwise we'd see the Jedi talking about their decreased ability to use the Force as some sort of viral infection.

Yoda: "Harder to use the Force now, it is."

Mace Windu: "It is, plus I have this terrible cough and creamy yellow discharge."

And that would've been just awful.

I think the dialog from the original triology, blah as it seems on paper, was saved by the delivery. The actors weren't trying to make pseudo-Shakespearian pronouncements, they were actually talking. Like real people. Well, 'cept for Chewie, who growled like a Rogain test gone horribly awry.