Thursday, December 11, 2003

"Secret Marriage"

So I attended a wedding last night at 1.00am. Seriously. No, it wasn't mine, and no, it didn't occur in Las Vegas. It occurred in the Norman Regional Hospital Chapel, which was the closest church-like place we could find at that hour.

But yeah, a couple of my dear friends here at OU tied the ol' knot last night, and I was there as a witness. The circumstances around why we had to do it at 1.00am are rather simple, actually--the guy doing the ceremony didn't get off work up in the city until midnight or so, so we had to wait for him (apparently my claim to be the Mitten Pope does not necessarily confer upon me special Jesus Powers).

But anyway, it was a nice little ceremony, only took a few minutes. It amazes me how those few little minutes will change these two persons' lives. I mean, they've been dating for like six years, engaged for the past two (and cohabitating, too, though it's out of financial necessity rather than the need for nookie), and yet...a quick little ceremony, and suddenly it'll all be just slighty different. Yet significantly different, I'm sure. It always makes me feel good to see two people who've found each other amidst all the chaos of this life, especially the chaos of college. Makes me hope I'll find something like that myself someday.

Enough introspection. If I start thinking about that, I'll start thinking about the dearth of dates in recent years, and that'll just get me started on a tangent that none of us want to to take. I've walked that road too many times, and all I ever find are potholes the size of Texas. Besides, I'm content with my relationship circumstances, for once. I know that's hard to believe, but I really don't mind being single right now. What would I have to offer a girl? "Hey, I proofread papers like a mo-fo, baby. Does that turn your crank?" Admittedly, using the phrase "turn your crank" when trying to pick up a lady is probably a swift route to a head injury, but hey, we're speaking hypothetically here.

In completely unrelated news that is apropos of absolutely nothing, I had lunch with my friend Audrey today. She, like myself, is an Ozarks alum, and now attending grad school here at OU. Like me, she's having a difficult time adjusting to the intensity of grad-level work. And being in a big school. And not knowing many people. And wondering "how the hell am I gonna make it through this?" Though I doubt she'd use the word "hell," because she's much more devout and pure person than I. I am a terrible person, to be honest, just not in ways that really show. Ev insists I'm not a nice guy at all, though I think it's more than I'm just evil to him. Which I am. But he deserves it, honest, and it's not like he can't give as well as he takes.

Now that we've ended up somewhere completely different from where we started, I'll end this farce. I'm gonna go run before it gets too cold. Running in sub-zero weather is not unakin to going through puberty in reverse--everything gets sucked back up into your body, and you have to wait for your balls to drop again after you thaw out. I honestly think my voice goes up about an octave, too.

The preceeding was more information that you could possibly have wanted. For more disturbing visuals and concepts, stay tuned to this station.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: The Byrds, "My Back Pages"

No comments: