Monday, December 15, 2003

"Can I Be Electric Too?"

So I woke up this morning with a strange urge to listen to Oasis.

I know, I'm a bad, terrible person. But I can't help it--sure, they're Britpop knock-offs, ripping off Beatles tunes and tropes left and right, with nary an original thought in their little pinheads, but damn, they can make some decent-sounding music. I mean, when you decided to consciously "borrow" from the greatest band ever (the Beatles, for those of you not keeping track), it's hard not to sound good, if just a wee bit derivative.

Admittedly, I really only wanted to hear one of their songs, which actually sounds more like Dylan channeled through the Beatles--"She's Electric." A good tune, to be sure, and sounds an awful lot like Dylan circa Highway 61 Revisited.

I've never understood why I like Oasis. I mean, they make decent pop-rock, but there's little substance to it. I guess they just "write" catchy pop songs. It's hard not to enjoy the music, really, even if it's derivative as hell and completely unoriginal. It still sounds good.

But I'm making up for it by listening to Van Morrison next. And probably Dylan as well (I'm hooked on Time out of Mind...again).

Meanwhile, I'm still in the middle of Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. It occurs to me that I really need to get some new books. I'd like Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul. Sadly, all I can find at any bookstore is the latter. I also need to pick up a new copy of Ursla K. LeGuinn's Wizard of Earthsea, as someone borrowed my original copy and never returned it (and damned if I know who it was, exactly). There are also other, new Earthsea books I don't have (I have all the original four except the aforementioned first book, Wizard). Those shall be mine someday. Oh yeah, and the rest of the New Jedi Order books. I started reading those several years ago when they first came out, but lost track when they released one of them in hardback (I'm cheap--I usually only buy books in paperback), so I got behind. Then I started reading Pratchett, and never got the chance to go back. Well, now they've just released the final book in the series, though it's admittedly in hardback. That's okay, though--I still have over a dozen books in paperback to read between where I stopped in the series and where they are currently.

Anyway, back to Small Gods. Remember--the Turtle Moves!

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Oasis, "She's Electric"

No comments: