Wednesday, December 03, 2003

"A Long December"

It's hard to believe that it's already December. Finals are in about a week and a half. Granted, I don't have finals (I have a 20 page paper to turn in, but that's due the week before, so that doesn't really count). But it's almost finals week. It's almost the end of the semester already. Eesh.

It never ceases to amaze me how time seems to move faster now than it did when I was younger. As a small child, minutes seemed to drag by for an eternity. Hours were like the migration of glaciers. An ice age could come and go during a full day. The weekend always seemed eons away, unreachable except by someone with Methusalah-like age who managed to survive the hundreds of years each weekday seemed to last.

Granted, the weekends still went by like the blink of the proverbial eye, even as a child, but that's relativity for you.

Now, of course, there never seem to be enough hours in the day. Maybe it's because I'm trying to cram more into each day, whereas when I was a child, there weren't that many demands on my time--school, homework (when I bothered with it), play, eat, sleep. That was about it, right? And there's so much more to life now, which is good, of course. But sometimes I miss those halcyon days of youth. Sometimes I miss the fact that a year felt like a year. Now, it feels like no time at all. I mean, I shouldn't be about to finish my third semester here at OU. Hell, as far as my internal body clock is concerned, I really should still be at Ozarks. Which just goes to show, I guess, that my biological clock needs to be wound.

I guess time only seems to move faster. I've never read anything that says time really does go faster as you get older. That'd be kind of weird. Your grandparents aging faster than you do, so that they have two birthdays for each one of yours or something. But I guess it makes sense that time feels like it's moving quicker as I get older. I mean, each year is a smaller and smaller chunk of my total life. When you're ten, a year is a big chunk of your total time on the planet. Now, it's not even half as big a piece. Soon, a year will just be a drop in the bucket. Which means my life will be going "plunk" very gently.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Van Morrison, "Meaning of Loneliness"

No comments: