Tuesday, December 02, 2003

"If You Know The Words, Try To Sing Along"

The day didn't start out on a good note. First, I overslept (by like thirty minutes), which meant I arrived at work late. I hate being late. It's as though I'm showing contempt and disdain for my job. And even though there are times when my job annoys me to no end, I still rather like it, and don't hold it in contempt at all. No, just some of the athletes, that's all.

But I got lucky, because my boss was not yet here, and she wouldn't have cared if I had been late. C'est la vie (watch me butcher not one, but two languages! Woo!).

Anyway, second annoying thing of the morning--my CD player wasn't working. Turns out it just didn't like the CD I was trying to play, but it still frustrated me, because it was the CD I really wanted to listen to. Blarg. I eventually got it to play a different CD, so I won't be without music today, it just points out that my discman is getting old and decrepit (I've had it since like Senior year of high school. I don't know that portable technology like that is supposed to last that long...especially if you accidentally drop the damn thing as much as I have). Sadly, I won't have the funding to purchase a new one anytime soon.

And my left eye hurts, and I don't know why. It feels like there's an eyelash or something in there, but there isn't. No, it just hurts for no apparent reason.

So the morning didn't start out all that well. I'm hoping that means it can only improve, but I know better than to expect that from life.

On the positive side, I had a good evening last night. I went with Jessica to pick up Dominic from the airport, then we all went over to Beth's place to check out her Christmas tree and drink hot chocolate and just hang out. We arrived there a little before 11:00pm, and left around 1:30am. It was much fun, and much silliness and merriment was made. I also went ahead and gave Beth her Christmas present--a CD for a band she's going to see in concert on Friday (Jars of Clay, if you must know). She seemed genuinely excited about the present, so that's good. And in fact, she's really seemed to warm up to me since this past Thursday. I wonder just what sort of nefarious effect my family had on her. Anyway, we also got to meet her friend Shane, a fellow Meterology major, who I think is probably afraid of me now because I was at my most hyperactive and manic last night (it was that or fall asleep, really). He seems nice enough, though. I think Beth, Jess, Dom, and myself are getting together next weekend (all four of us haven't gotten to do anything together since like the beginning of October, really...well, until last night) to celebrate Jess's birthday and her and Dom's anniversary. They've been going out like six years now or something. I know marriages that haven't lasted that long, so they have my congratulations.

Oh, random update--I figured out why my discman wouldn't play that CD earlier--I had the CD upside down, so that it was trying to read the label side. In my defense, this particular CD looks the same on both sides, so it's an easy mistake to make. Honest. My damn eye still hurts, though.

I hope today doesn't continue yesterday's disturbing trend. I don't want to look at another 40 page Business paper. There's just something intrinsically wrong about reading 40 pages and knowing no more at the end of the paper than you did at the beginning. Damn Business papers.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Jars of Clay, "Revolution"

No comments: