Sunday, July 10, 2005

"A Momentary Lapse Of Reason"

So, while talking to my grandfather tonight, I realized just how impractical I can be.

See, all along, I've been thinking I'll have to get a U-Haul trailer to get all my stuff down to Virginia. I figured, even with Clif's truck and my SUV, we couldn't fit things like my dresser or bookcase in without leaving out things like clothes or CDs or my guitar (none of which I particularly want to have to leave behind).

Anyway, while talking with my grandfather (and making plans to visit on Wednesday), I happened to mention that Wendy is coming to Oklahoma next month for a quick family visit, and that she offered to bring anything I needed back with her in her new full-size truck. And my grandfather says, "well, why not have her bring whatever you couldn't fit in your and Clif's cars instead of getting a U-Haul?"

And that's when it struck me--I'm an idiot.

I mean, the U-Haul would've meant that I got all the important stuff down there in one trip, but it would've been expensive and annoying. I'd have to get a trailer hitch installed, it'd kill what little decent gas mileage I get, I wouldn't be able to drive as fast, it's tougher to negotiate turns and lane changes, I'd have to pay a hefty fee for returning it to a different U-Haul place than the one I rented it from, and it's overall just rather silly when I could have Wendy bring my dresser or whatever with her a few weeks later.

So yeah. No U-Haul. It's not necessary. It's expensive. And I'm going to allow leveler heads to prevail here.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Going Going Gone"

3 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

Sometimes, boy, I wonder how you survive at all.

Chuck Cottrell said...

What's sad is that, at Ozarks, I was considered one of the more level-headed and sensible people in our circle.

Which really makes me weep for humanity at times.

Noise Monkey said...

Yeah...and Chris was considered quite the catch. I'm sure you can see what that infers about that little circle.