Sunday, July 10, 2005

"I Went Down Virginia"

Talked with my folks this afternoon (they returned last night from vacation, which they seemed to have enjoyed quite a bit). We've hammered out most of the important details of the move. Dad's going to come up a few times this week and take loads of stuff back to Shawnee for me so we don't have to do it all in the last couple of days I'm here. Mom's going to get me appointments for the dentist and the eye doctor ('cause it's been a year since I saw the former and six months since the latter) and a haircut, so I'll be all set up for heading off to Virginia in that respect.

It really just hit me this weekend--I move in less than two weeks now. I'm starting to feel scared--what if I don't have everything ready in time? What if I don't get a job? I mean, I feel pretty sure I can, especially given just how many teachers they need, but what if? It's that nagging doubt that's plagued me since I was a small child. I always doubt myself, my abilities, my chances...I'm stepping way out of my comfort zone here, and that scares the bejeezus out of me. I mean, I'm fairly sure everything will work out just great, that I'll love living in VA and working...but what if?

In other news, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and lots of nasal congestion. I think one of the four or five small children I've dealt with in the past week gave me something. Swimming last night probably didn't help any, either.

Well, off to go draw comics. I'm going to try to get ahead enough that there won't be any gaps in the comics while I'm moving and getting settled in, but I make no hard promises about that.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues (Live)"

No comments: