Sunday, July 10, 2005

"Change My New Guitar Strings"

Busy busy weekend. The Friday Group had its penultimate meeting this past Friday, in which we played our next to last game (I got to turn an enemy stronghold to a giant lava pit and slay a manticore with the sword I didn't know how to use...I am now the Manticore Slayer, and I've got at least two or three notches on my belt already. My character is also apparently the son of the personification of humanity, meaning I have lots of nifty powers I don't know how to use and probably won't figure out before the last game next Friday). We also managed to finally finish Neon Genesis Evangelion. There's really only one way to describe my reaction to the series, and that is what the fuck? Sorry, but there's really no other way to put it. It's a phenomenal anime, but even watching the End of Evangelion two-part feature that replaces the rushed and sappy first ending of the series (they decided they didn't like the last two episodes of the series, so they made a movie and broke into two 45 minute episodes to be the official ending) didn't really answer anything. In fact, I think it raised more questions that it answered.

The one thing I did notice about Eva is that virtually none of the characters are sympathetic. Virtually every character in the series is selfish and self-destructive in some fashion. They're all also afraid of human contact, whether it be physical or (especially) emotional. And Shinji, who is as close to a protagonist as we can get in the series, is the worst. He wants people to love him, he wants people to understand him, but he never gives them an opportunity to do so. And at the end of the series, he hasn't actually changed at all. The only thing that really changes for him is that he realizes he is selfish and afraid of contact, and he also realizes he doesn't seem to be able to do a damn thing about it. He is incapable of effecting real, positive change in his own life. It's exceptionally depressing.

Saturday was good. Spent the afternoon seeing Batman Begins finally (which totally rocked my socks. Best Batman flick yet), then went over to my aunt and uncle's place. Actually, to their neighbor's place. He was having a little cookout and invited me over to swim and partake of food, which I happily did. My uncle also replaced my guitar strings, showing me some quick tricks for doing so myself in the process. I think I definitely need one of the nifty little stringing tools he has, because it just makes restringing the guitar so damn simple and easy.

Have to go to work at 2.00 pm. I only work one more Sunday after this one. I've been working Sunday shifts pretty much since I began working at the Writing Center, so it seems appropriate that I work them until the end. Moving is becoming very much a reality at this point, especially in the "oh crap I am nowhere near ready to go" way. I'm sure I'll get everything ready in time, I'm just not sure about other stuff...y'know, like sleeping. I also still need to visit my grandparents up in Ponca City (they and my parents returned home this evening from vacation). I would like to see my Oklahoma friends one last time before I go as well. It's gonna be tough--next Saturday is already pretty booked. I've got a party with the Writing Center folks at 7.00, then I'm going to hear my uncle play at 9.00 or so. Sundays are obviously for work, though I may try to go home next Sunday for a few hours to visit with the family (since it's my uncle's birthday as well and everyone will be in Shawnee). But there are three or four friends whom I haven't seen yet that I need to see before I go. Ugh. Moving is more of a hassle than I thought.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Van Morrison and The Band, "Caravan (Live)"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Batman Begins on Friday. I liked it as well.

Mel