Monday, November 29, 2004

"I Need Love And Peace"

Since last Tuesday, I've been using the word "finished" to describe the status of my Master's Thesis. Admittedly, this has always been qualified with something akin to, "Well, y'know, mostly finished. I sent the most recent copy to my advisor. I hope it's finished." And then I start weeping softly to myself while I curl up in a fetal ball and rock gently, muttering about how I can't be enrolled here another semester or I'll go mad, mad I say!

But today I received semi-official sanction of my use of the term "finished." I ambushed my advisor outside of his office today and got confirmation that he did indeed receive the paper, will be reading it tonight, is going to converse with the other two members of my committee this afternoon, and that I should--against all logic and hope and rational thought and prior beliefs about my ability to get something done on time--be able to defend the Thesis by next week (the deadline for defense is December 10, next Friday).

To say that this made me happy in ways only the tender love of a comely woman could would be...um...mild hyperbole. It makes me very happy, but in a very different fashion, I think.

Crap. I should really just erase that sentence. But no!--it's already typed, it's already glowing on my screen, and thus I shall allow you, the reader, to read the bizzare and oddly inappropriate comparisons my slightly addled brain has cooked up.

Of course, with the Master's Thesis all but finished, I can worry about the rest of the stuff I need to do over the next two weeks, like the dishes, cleaning the apartment, doing several grad school applications, and researching and writing a 20 page paper that I'm still not even really sure of the topic for. Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting couple of weeks, lemme tell ya.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: U2, "Yahweh"

No comments: