Monday, March 01, 2004

"This Bird Has Flown"

Spent the afternoon in Shawnee, doing various and random things. I installed my old scanner on a computer at my church, chatted with my mother, visited my grandparents (my grandfather showed me the stuff they took out of his neck Saturday...it disturbed me), and went to the high school to critique a drama piece for a friend of mine. Also got my laundry done and fed. These are always good things.

I'm just now remembering and realizing, though, that I left the ice chest with my milk, hot pockets, and various other "needs to be kept cool" foods sitting in the middle of the kitchen. I completely forgot to put that stuff away. Hope my milk doesn't go bad.

There's not really a whole lot to talk about. Trips home are always a little strange. I don't know how to react to them, or to home, or to the people I often encounter while there. I end up having to make that awkward small talk, the "so, how's your life been since last I spoke with you, years ago?" I have to summarize the past three or four years into a few short sentences. Then I mention I'm getting my Master's in History, and they say, "oh," and their eyes immediately glaze over. I think I've outgrown Shawnee. It's a good little town, for the most part, but I don't fit there anymore.

In other, completely unrelated news, Return of the King absolutely rocked the house last night at the Oscars. And about damn time props were given to a fantasy film, don't you think? And props they received--all eleven Oscars they were up for, at that.

It is, I must say, a good time to be a geek.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "You Won't See Me"

No comments: