Monday, March 08, 2004

"I'll Hold Your Breath If That Won't Make You Blue"

It was a good weekend. Well, except for Sunday. Sunday rather sucked in ways I can't discuss in polite company. But the rest of the weekend was good. Got to spend time with Ev (watched an anime called Phantom Quest Corp., a wonderful little four-episode OVA that had a slightly subtler humor to it than most of what I usually watch). Then went to grab some dinner with Ev and Beth...that was an interesting combination of people, though I think they got on fairly well. I've noticed I have a very moderate personality in many respects. I get along well with people at either end of a rather extreme spectrum, people who might not get along with each other otherwise.

Anyway, after dinner, Beth and I tracked down Jess and Dom, who came over to my place and played a bizzare party game called "Apples to Apples." I'm not sure why we find this game so damn amusing, but we played that for three or four hours.

Then Sunday...God, Sunday was awful. I'd received an email from my boss on Friday that a student with a temporary disability needed someone to type a paper for them. I replied back, informing her I wouldn't mind typing a paper for a student in need. I assumed we were talking about a three to five page little English paper. No big deal. A half hour, an hour at most, and we'd be good to go.

Oh, how wrong I was.

I arrived at work a few minutes before 2.00 pm, and the guy who needed stuff typed showed up at the same exact time. he handed me what he needed done--Garibay papers.

Now, that's not going to make any sense to anyone who doesn't work with me, so let me explain: we have a guy in the athletic department who is a retired army colonel. His name, coincidentally, is Garibay. We usually just call him "the Colonel," even though he's retired. Anyway, he teaches a couple of military history classes, and since he's also the assistant director of atheltic academic services (or something of that nature), a lot of the athletes end up taking his classes. So far, so good, right? Well, he has them do these book reviews. He has them do the book reviews in military style. What is military style, you ask? Well, it's this very strict (heh, strict. Military) format that the students have to follow. The Colonel is trying to teach the students to write within a particular discipline, to learn how to follow directions and a specific format. All good ideas, right? Well, these book reviews end up being about 10-12 pages each. And I got to do three of them. To top it all off, I accidentally got the format wrong when I was writing the first two, so I had to go back and fix all the formatting issues. It took me almost nine hours to do these three things. By the time I was finishing, my wrists hurt, my hands hurt, and I was wondering if it was possible to feel the stigmata just from typing. Even now, my hands and wrists are hurting, because when I say ten pages each, I mean ten single spaced pages.

The sad thing was, I was going to use work on Sunday as prep time for writing my Master's Thesis this week. I was going to go over all of my research, take some notes, organize my thoughts, maybe write up an outline or something if I was feeling really spry. But no, instead I spent the whole time typing these papers. And when I left work, I was too worn out and frustrated to even attempt to do anything productive tonight. So I'm just gonna wake up early in the morning and start working on the Thesis then. I have my work cut out for me, but I've got a schedule, and if I can stick to the schedule, I can have a good rough draft knocked out by Friday.

On the positive side, I did get paid double for typing those damn papers. Pretty good, considering we didn't have anything else going on in the Writing Center all day.

I just got an email from Clif about the sort of music he's been listening to over in France. Apparently, the poor child has had to deal with MTV France, which is sad. He's found a few songs and bands that apparently aren't too bad, but he said the techno cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" was a little weird. I'm gonna have to find it now just because.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Scissor Sisters, "Comfortably Numb"

No comments: