Friday, March 12, 2004

"What's Wrong With This Picture?"

It's early. I'm at work. People in Madrid are blowing each other up for ridiculous reasons, people in California are deciding to reneg on tacit decisions made decades ago, the Oklahoma State Legislature is trying to get rid of quarter beer night, and I still have too many pages left to type on the Master's Thesis.

Yeah, it's a great morning, alright.

When did our nation become so damn stupid? When did we all become so full of hate and fear of the mythical "Other" that we'd trample their rights, deny them equality, and refuse to recognize them as humans?

I'm not gonna rant and rave about this for paragraph after paragraph. There are people much more eloquent than I already expressing just how ridiculous and insipid these things are. I just wonder whatever happened to humanity. When did we become so callow and heartless? As a history major, I think I can pinpoint the exact moment--the minute we started acting out against one another. So really from time out of mind, we've been finding new and exciting ways to hurt each other and strip one another of humanity and dignity.

Stupid world. Stupid fucking world.

~chuck cottrell

Song of the Moment: REM, "Wake Up Bomb"

No comments: