Sunday, April 17, 2005

"Walking After Midnight"

Time for the weekend recap, 'cause I know you all care so much...

Made it up to Clarksville about 3.30 or 4.00 Friday afternoon, which was about an hour after I thought I'd get there. Went up to Clif's room and played guitars with him for awhile (he taught me a few Yeti songs and a couple of cover tunes, all of which I've managed to forget already. Go me). Hung around his place until about 6.00, when Amanda E. showed up. We putzed around campus for awhile, then she went off to visit some other friends and I headed over to Adam's place to hang out until it was time to go to Adam's parents' place to eat.

Basically spent Friday night hanging out with the Monkey and his family. After awhile, Adam and I decided to draw a couple of random sketches for the Keenspace Forum-goers, which we promptly did. The results were amusing and, since we posted them through Adam's username, attributed only to him (despite the fact that there's clearly two art styles going on in each drawing and we stated in the text that accompanied each drawing that we collaborated. Ah well). Eventually I made my way back to his parents' place, where I proceeded to fall very fast asleep.

Saturday, I slept in a bit, got up, and eventually went to visit Dr. Dippel. Had Holly meet me over there, and we sat and chatted with him for a couple of hours. We left Dippel's and headed to Brandy and Paul's to pester them for awhile and chat for another couple of hours. By this time, it was about 6.00 or so, and Amanda and Karra and Lindsey S. (there are lots of Lindseys and Lindsays about, so it became necessarily to append an initial to their names to tell them apart. I'd personally been in favor of the mudwrestling match to decide who would be called what, but the girls didn't care as much for that idea) were all chomping at the bit to go eat. Thus was a Dodge's run undertaken, and pizza sticks in hand, we were content to head to the "Young Alumni" function they were having at a nearby bar.

The function turned out to be a dozen or so people sitting around in what looked like the bar's storeroom chatting for an hour or two. We got pretty bored with that pretty fast, and headed back into town. The girls headed to their hotel room to start drinking, and I went up to Adam's parents' place to visit with the Askins clan before I went back to hang out with the girls some more. Turns out it was a good thing I went back up that way--Adam's brother and said brother's wife and sister-in-law had come in from Missouri to visit and stay the night. The problem was that we were one bed short, so I moved over to Adam's house for Saturday night. He and I sat around and chatted and played videogames for awhile, then I headed down to the hotel where the girls were staying and hung out with them for awhile. Amanda and Lindsey crashed pretty early, but Karra and I ended up chatting about this and that until around 2.30. Then I went and crashed on Adam's couch, where I was periodically attacked by their cat, who thought that a person in the room meant the person would obviously want to pay attention to said cat, no matter what the hour might be. From what I understand, this is perfectly normal for a cat.

Anyway, because of the cat, I really didn't get much sleep, and never more than an hour at any given stretch. Got up around 8.30 or 9.00, but wasn't early enough to get into the shower before Adam and his wife, Andria, did their stuff (he didn't take so long--she, on the other hand, had to straighten her hair and a half dozen other things). Had I been quicker on the ball, I'd have been able to leave Clarksville when I'd planned to; as it is, I didn't get out of town till 10.00. Was actually late for work, but not significantly so, and it's not like we had dozens of people beating down the door on a Sunday afternoon.

But I enjoyed my weekend. I wish it'd been longer. I wish I'd been able to visit with everyone longer (Clif's probably especially mad at me, since I only got to see him for a couple of hours on Friday...but I'm going back next weekend specifically for his Senior Seminar presentation, so he can't complain too much). But it was good to see everyone, and I'm glad I had the chance.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Eric Clapton, "Stop Breaking Down Blues"

No comments: