Monday, April 18, 2005

"Another One Bites The Dust"

Well, got an email from Vanderbilt today.

It wasn't a happy email. It was the sort that informed that, despite my desires to the contrary, I would not be attending graduate school in the fall.

So now I'm feeling...well, numb, actually. I don't think it's sunk in that my chances of going straight to my PhD are shot completely through. There's no more schools to hear from (Minnesota's unversity deadline was in June, but the history department's deadline was back in January).

So instead I applied to three teaching jobs today in Maryland and Virginia. I don't know if I'll get them. I don't know if they'll even give me a second glance. But I have to do something. I can't stay here anymore. I can't stay here.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Pearl Jam, "Drifting"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry. At least you are not Richard Simmons - no one should own that much spandex. :)

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Where might these Mighty Jobs of the East Coast be? After all, I know a few folks out that way. Namely, um, ME. :-p I have no strings to pull per say, but I could buy you a drink the night before your first day.

I'm just the kind of friend to get you all nice and hungover before entering a facility of young, impressionable minds. ;-p

-Dav-

Chuck Cottrell said...

Thank God I'm not Richard Simmons...that thought carries me through each day.

As for where the jobs are, one is in Upper Marlboro, MD, one is in Emporia, VA, and the third is in Nottoway, VA. All I know of where these places actually are is that the Maryland one looks to be not too far from DC, though I could've been reading the map wrong.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Upper Marlboro is about 15 minutes north of Waldorf (where I claim residence). Oddly enough there is no LOWER Marlboro.

Well, it IS Maryland. Maybe that's not so odd. ;-P

-Dav-

Chuck Cottrell said...

You think that's weird, Dav? Try figuring out why the city of Miami, Oklahoma is pronounced "MiamUH."