Sunday, April 03, 2005

"In The Dark Of The Sun"

So, the weekend. T'was a good weekend, the weekend of a pay week, which we always like. The Pope died, which is kind of depressing (though you have to think now that he's at peace, which is good, 'cept that now we (and I say "we," even though I'm not Catholic...I'm not sure why) will probably end up with a Pope who's not quite so liberal as he was. Sad, really). But my personal weekend was good. Friday night I went and heard my uncle play. The band somehow convinced me to get up on stage and sing The Eagles' "Take it Easy." It went well, except that I flubbed a couple of lyrics. The bar was all but deserted, though, so it didn't really matter that much (and the folks who were there were most likely fairly inebriated).

Saturday, I woke up at 6.00 am (a time I often refer to as "ass-early" because I hate having to drag my ass out of bed that early) and drove to Shawnee. I met up with my grandparents and cousin there, and we all piled into my grandparents' Buick and drove up to Tulsa for the day. Apparently one of my other cousins has a son whose first birthday was Saturday, so we were up there to celebrate it. My folks met us up there as well, and we all gathered 'round and ate well, laughed at the infant when he masacred a piece of cake, and generally had a decent if long day. I ended up driving back from Tulsa, and I was pretty wiped out by the time I got back to my parents' place to do some laundry and just relax. Watched McClintock!, one of John Wayne's best flicks, and did my laundry. Ended up crashing around 11.30 or 12.00, and was sound asleep when my brother decided to call at 1.00 in the morning...which annoyed the hell out of me, even if his reason for calling was somewhat understandable. Apparently his Hotmail address is having problems; it won't accept his password, even from my computer or through various different browsers. In turn, this caused his eBay account to get temporarily suspended, since he didn't have a working email address all the sudden. But it annoyed me nonetheless, since I'd been sound asleep.

Got up this morning, vaccumed out the car (which dad had washed for me), had some pancakes, and loaded up and came back to Norman. Work's been quiet this afternoon. We've had three students come in--one needed a two page paper read, the other two just needed photocopies. Easy, right?

Anyway, plans for the evening include drawing a comic or two, maybe playing some more Minish Cap, and playing a spot of guitar when I get back to the ol' apartment. Learned how to play Tom Petty's "In the Dark of the Sun" this afternoon before I came to work, so I want to practice it some more. The chorus is fun, 'cause you play three chords in rapid succession at the end of a phrase, and you have to be pretty quick to pull it off. I discovered I could actually change chords that fast, which really made my day.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: John Mellencamp, "Paper in Fire"

No comments: