Friday, April 22, 2005

"Baffled By Bullshit"

To prove how much of a geek I am:

I have an idea for an article I want to write (for the Keenspace Newsletter) that compares the old haigiographies of the saints done by the Medieval Church with so-called autobiographical webcomics (such as Real Life), which tend to embelish an individual's life almost as much as the haigiographies did (I mean, to read some of those things, you'd think each saint had single-handly converted entire continents. If you believed everything you read in those things, you'd wonder how there were any non-Christians left in the medieval world. Likewise, autobiographical comics tend to feature main characters--usually the author and his/her closest buddies--being able to do things you know they can't do, such as travel through time, build giant robots, etc.). It's something that interests me, both as a historian and an artist who sorta bases his own comic on himself with a few embelishments (though I'd hardly call Crooked Halo autobiographical. The main roommate characters may be based on real people, but only slightly--I mean, Clyde's pretty much Clif, but Simon is really only one facet of my personality, and Jerome is nothing like my old roommate anymore, really, except that he does totally random things). I mean, it's not like I have an angel and a temptor sitting on either shoulder, and I sure don't have a succubus pursuing me.

But yeah. The very idea of the article excites my intellect. I think I need help.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Moxy Früvous, "My Poor Generation"

No comments: