Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Top Ten Concerts

I've been to a lot of concerts since my first back in the fifth grade. My father and I go to concerts the way some fathers and sons go to ball games or car shows. It's the way we bond and something we have in common.

So I was thinking after last night's Wilco show about my favorite concerts. I came up with a list of the ten best shows I've seen:

1. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Into the Great Wide Open Tour: the first truly great concert I went to, way back in 1991. We managed to get front row center tickets somehow, and I was on my feet the whole time. At the end of the show, Tom Petty leaned down and handed me his guitar pick. I think that was the moment music became an integral part of my life.

2. Eric Clapton, Me & Mr. Johnson Tour: last summer. I'd heard the two disc CD of his previous tour, One More Car, One More Rider, and hadn't been all that impressed. He seemed to focus on his pop side, and I was worried he'd do the same here. But my fears were unfounded--Clapton ripped through a set of classics, playing harder and better than I'd heard him play in ages. I left that show with ringing ears and a burning desire to scrawl "Clapton is God" on the nearest flat surface.

3. Bob Dylan, Love and Theft Tour: I saw Dylan for the first time at the Zoo Ampitheatre in OKC in 2001, the day before I went back to Ozarks to start my senior year. I'd only really just started getting into Dylan, and that concert was what kickstarted my current Dylan obsession. I've seen him again since, and I'll see him again at every available opportunity, but that first show just opened my eyes and mind.

4. Doobie Brothers, Brotherhood Tour: My first concert back in 1991. It was a present for my birthday, though in actuality we went more because my father is a huge fan of theirs. I only knew a couple of their songs at that point, but that was okay--I still had more fun at that show than I'd ever had in my life. This was where it all began, and I'll always have fond memories of it...even the part where the weird guy next to me offered me a joint.

5. Wallflowers, Red Letter Days Tour: just last month, up in Tulsa. I got there so early I got to hear part of the soundcheck. They rocked harder than I thought imaginable, and they had a hell of a good time. They were real laid back, friendly, and had a great raporte with the audience. I'd go see them again in a heartbeat, and this time I'd remember to take my camera.

6. Wilco, A Ghost is Born Tour: well, my thoughts on this show from last night are in the post below, but the recap--these guys kick ass, and they'll do anything to please their audience, like coming out for three separate encores. An impressive display of musicianship, this was.

7. John Mellencamp, Words and Music Tour: another highlight from last month. Mellencamp knows just what his audience wants to hear, and he gives it to them. He's a great showman, and his backing band is tight and muscular. He also knew how to change his songs just enough so that they seemed fresh while remaining familiar, which is no small feat.

8. Rolling Stones, Bridges to Babylon Tour: Norman back in 1997. I remember this show well--it was freakin' cold, I was nearly crushed getting to my seat, and Mick and the boys rocked the stadium for a good two hours. A Rolling Stones show isn't just a concert, it's a freakin' experience.

9. Aerosmith, Nine Lives Tour: one of the last shows I got to see up in the Myriad Convention Center in OKC in late 1997 (they built the Ford Center not long after, so I don't think they even use the Myriad for concerts anymore...which is a shame, really). I actually went with my high school drama teacher, Mr. Guptill, who was (and still is) the biggest Aerosmith fan I know. Great show, and watching Steven Tyler running around the stage and doing backflips while they perform is great.

10. Genesis, We Can't Dance Tour: dad and I went down to Dallas for this one in 1992. It was held in Texas Stadium, and it was a packed house. I remember watching the band do their little walk/dance thing from the "I Can't Dance" video, a walk/dance thing I myself would do around the house while the song blarred from the stereo (much to my mother's chagrin and my father's grinning). My interest in Genesis wanned after this show, but it was still a great exprience.

These are just a handful of the shows I've seen over the years. I've enjoyed every show I've been to, but these were the best.

And it doesn't stop there. There are so many bands I still want to see live. Here's a short list:

1. Van Morrison: I'd love to see The Man. From what I understand, on the night's that he's hitting on all cylinders, he's an astounding showman. And let's face it--his work just cries out for live improvisation.

2. Flaming Lips: Oklahoma's favorite weird sons. These guys are amazing in the studio, so I'm curious what their live stuff would sound like, since a lot of the layers and blips in their studio work would be tough to reproduce live.

3. Pink Floyd: I've been a Floyd fan since high school, and their shows are supposed to be epic. I mean, hell, they performed the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon in the show on their last tour.

4. Paul McCartney: I've missed out the last two times he came anywhere near here, and I refuse to miss a third time. The fact that he's playing a bunch of Beatles stuff now and that his backing band seems to drive him forward really make this a must-see.

5. Glen Phillips: duno if I'll ever get to see Toad the Wet Sprocket (Phillips' old band), but he tours quite extensively (though never around here. Moving to Virginia ought to help with that, though, since I know he's played a few shows up in DC). I've heard a lot of his live solo acoustic stuff, and I'm always a fan of his studio work, so this'd be well worth my while.

6. Counting Crows: they'd just be fun, y'know? And they're supposed to be phenomenal live.

7. Ben Folds: I missed him when he came through Norman last year, but I'm sure he'll be touring for quite some time still.

8. Sting: another one of those I've been wanting to see for years who never comes around this area. Again, moving to a better location might help.

9. Moxy Früvous: these guys are still one of my favorite bands. Alas, they've been on indefinite hiatus since about 2001.

10. Bruce Springsteen: c'mon, how could you not enjoy the Boss? The man's live shows are marathons, tests of the will and endurance and human spirit. You come out of a Springsteen concert knowing the contents of your soul.

There are others I'd like to see I'm sure, but those are the biggies. I'll probably fall in love with several other bands between now and the time I die, and I'll want to see them in concert, too. Such is life, right?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wilco, "The Late Greats"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have it on good authority from a cute girl (natch) that Barry Manilow gives a great performance. ;-P

I'm not a big concert-goer myself though, I've only been to five that I can recall:

-Huey Lewis in the 80's with my parents.

-Toad (with Cranberries to open) in the mid 90's with a girl I was sorta seeing.

-Some country festival thing or another with my then fiance.

-The Who (which was excellent) with my dad a few years back.

-And Toad again on their "Farewell Tour" with Wen. All in all, I had fun. :)

-Dav-