Thursday, June 03, 2004

"The Real Folk Blues"

It's been an interesting week, to say the least. Hanging out with Beth's been fun, but I'm glad her crashing at my place isn't permanent. I never get anything done. I've been really damn lazy all week, got next to nothing accomplished, and I only feel slightly guilty about that.

I have gotten a few things accomplished--I took care of that overdue Interlibrary Loan book (turns out I did still have it--it was buried under a stack of papers). Emailed Ohio State (still waiting for a reply back). Conversed with a guy from Louisville Presbyterian Seminary about the possibility of me attending there and whatnot (they have spring admission! I may go there in the spring). Mostly, I've been watching lots of anime (Beth and I have gone through all of Sorcerer Hunters, Blue Seed, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop in the past two weeks), playing a significant amount of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (we're almost done), and helping Jessica and Dominic prepare for their wedding. They're nearly ready--just a few odds and ends to get taken care of, and we're set. Got all the sound stuff figured out (it'll actually be quite easy), got all but one of the CDs made, the girls are making the cakes tomorrow during the day, and we've got most of the out-of-town guests figured out and in town already. Things are progressing.

Today was interesting for other reasons as well. Beth and I went up to OKC with Dominic this afternoon in the Sunfire (my old car). It was weird riding in the passenger seat of a car I drove for almost six years. It was even stranger riding in the backseat of said car. And it was stranger still driving it back to Norman while Dominic rode with his father in said father's rental car. But fun, in a strange way.

Beth pointed out something interesting on that drive, too--there was a good chance that August would be the last time she'd ever come to Oklahoma. If Jessica & Dominic and I leave soon--as we're all hoping to do, really--then she'll have no reason to return to this state. In a way, I'm hoping August is the last time she has to come here. That means we're all out of this place finally.

There's so much I could say, but so very little of it is actually important enough to mention. I miss many of my Ozarks friends right now, more than ever, and the idea that three of the four people I spend time with here in Norman are leaving on Sunday (Jess & Dom for their two-week honeymoon, Beth for the summer) is really starting to sink in and leave me with a big vacant feeling in the pit of my stomach. But there's really not much I can do about it, y'know?

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Yoko Kanno & The Seatbelts, "Call Me, Call Me"

No comments: