Monday, June 07, 2004

"Via Con Dios"

Well, the wedding of Jessica and Dominic occurred this past Saturday. It was a good day--rather hectic, with last minute things to do, wonky sound (not my fault--stupid stereo didn't want to cooperate round about 11.30), and the officiant not remembering that we had a microphone up by the podium for him to speak in to so we could actually hear the service (then again, even when they did remember the microphone, the sound system wasn't turned up loud enough for it to have been much use). All in all, though, it was a great time, and the wedding turned out beautifully.

Also got to meet several of Dominic's friends from back east. His best man, a guy named John, was a real good guy; very warm and friendly. John took me aside yesterday at a brunch (given for Dominic's mother's 50th birthday party), and told me if I was ever in Boston and needed a place to stay, I had one. Thought that was rather cool.

The wedding itself was full of strange, amusingly surreal moments. The little kids had possession of the dance floor throughout dinner, though we eventually won it back in a series of engagements and offerings of candy. At around 12.00 or so, we had stereo troubles, but eventually got it to play again. When the song "Glory Days," by Bruce Springsteen, came up, the wedding party--all the groomsmen, the bride and groom, and myself--all started singing along at the top of our lungs. The few other people remaining (including Beth) probably thought we were insane, especially when we did it again less than an hour later. Towards the end of the night, most of us (that is, the groomsmen, the bride and groom, and myself) had a shot of tequila with Mom Bowie (that is, Jessica's mom...I've called her Mom Bowie since high school, because the woman was like a second mother to us all back then, and she just emanates a cool mom vibe). That was kinda funny--were I to try and even have a beer with my mom, she'd spend the whole time scowling.

But anyway, the weekend was a blast, though I'm still sore from standing, dancing, and squatting down on the floor for seven hours straight.

So now Jess and Dom have left for Ireland, and Beth has left for Rochester. I took Beth to the airport yesterday afternoon after the brunch to celebrate Dom's mother's birthday. I don't think it's really set in yet that Beth has gone, and that I won't see her until August, and then only briefly. When it does set in, I'll probably be depressed, but that's just how this sort of thing goes, y'know?

Guess I hadn't really realized how much that girl was a part of my life, even if it's really only been since about Thanksgiving that that's been the case. You just get used to people being there, get to used to having them around to talk to, laugh with, and bounce ideas around with. You get used to a presence, and I got used to hers. I wouldn't go so far as to say I fell in love with her, except in so far as I love all of my friends dearly. But I will definitely miss her being around. There's going to be a Beth-shaped gap in my life for quite a while, I think.

There's a Spanish phrase--via con Dios. It means "go with God." It's something you say to those who are departing, who are leaving your presence for the time being. We don't really have any equivalent phrase in the English language that we use with regularity as a greeting or farewell. Godspeed, perhaps, though that's not used much anymore. That's why I like via con Dios. It's still used, and it is a very powerful phrase. Wherever you go, go with God's grace and protection. I like that sort of sentiment. Go with God. Via con Dios, my friends.

~chuck cottrell

Song of the Moment: Bruce Springsteen, "Glory Days"

No comments: