Friday, June 11, 2004

"Take A Load For Free"

Spent a quiet evening at the apartment last night. It really has been quiet and empty there since Beth left, though I keep finding long hairs of hers all over the place (there was one in the shower today, even). I miss having her around to hang out with, but my wallet is significantly fuller now that she's gone, which is probably for the best at this point.

Paid for summer tuition today. That was...loads of fun. Really. Personally, I think I've given this damn school more money than they deserve already. But I digress.

One thing I meant to talk about when I reviewed the Clapton concert yesterday was the opening act. It was this combo called Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Robert Randolph is a guitarist...well, I say "guitarist," but he doesn't play guitar in the way you think he does. He plays a pedal steel guitar, but he plays it like a man possessed. His act had more energy and high-octaine guitar work than damn-near anyone I've ever heard. That man could play, and soloed on the steel guitar like Jimi Hendrix crossed with Mark Knopfler. I half expected to see smoke pouring off of his fingertips. They were a phenomenal band, and I'm actually looking around for one of their albums now (Best Buy here in Norman actually has both of them...now it's just a matter of determining which one I want). Randolph himself came back out during Clapton's encores to join him for a number, and you had Clapton, Randolph, and Clapton's other guitarist taking turns trading 12 bars of soloing for like five minutes. Damn, it was impressive.

Anyone ever heard of a musical called Avenue Q? Everett wants me to hear the soundtrack tomorrow, but I'm almost a little afraid to hear it. But I'm also curious. Just not bi-curious.

Okay, no more gay jokes, honest. I only use them when I'm around him, because (being bisexual himself), he finds them funny as hell. And so do I, now that I think about it. I'm probably also using them as a way to deal with my own homophobia, which isn't nearly as bad as it was, say, even a few years ago.

What any of that had to do with anything else I've been talking about, I have no idea.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan & The Band, "Tears of Rage"

No comments: