Tuesday, June 08, 2004

"I Seem To Recognize Your Face"

So a strange thing happened yesterday when I was at the tux shop returning the tuxedoes from Jess & Dom's wedding.

See, I was in the shop with Jessica's parents (who'd come down to Norman to help me sort all the tuxes out and figure out if we were missing anything and cover the charges if we were missing anything), and the girl working at the shop suddenly stops what she's doing and stares at me. "I get the feeling I know you," she says. "You look familiar." Now I have to admit, random attractive blondes saying they think they know me is a bit of an unusual occurance, so I'm curious about this, 'cause I know I don't recognize her. She asks me where I'm from, but the bustling metropolis of Shawnee, Oklahoma rings no bells. She asks me if I was ever involved in any yearbook stuff or anything like that. I told her no, but I do comics for the OU paper. Again, no sign of recognition. She even asks me if I'd ever played baseball; I chuckled, because I haven't played baseball since I was like six years old.

Eventually, we just decide I must have a face that looks similar to someone else she knows, 'cause I'll be damned if I actually even know who this girl is.

In hindsight, perhaps we should have asked each other for our names. That might've caused some sort of flicker of recognition.

The other possibility is that I'm actually famous in Norman, Oklahoma, and don't even know it. I could be a celebrity. If anyone wants my autograph, I'd be more than happy to oblige...as long as you're not wanting it on a bill or a confession or something. That probably wouldn't work for me.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Charlie Biddle Trio, "They All Laughed"

No comments: