Saturday, June 26, 2004

"Just Thinkin' Of A Series Of Dreams"

Went and saw Hellboy last night. Very enjoyable flick, I must say. Better than I thought, though maybe not as great as it coulda been (a couple of things were never explained to my satisfaction). Having never read the comic it's based on, I can't say how faithful it is to the original source material, but from what I understand, it did a fine job of remaining true to the original. And it was just good clean fun, too.

The Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance continue to dominate my videogame time. I'm almost through all of the first Mega Man game, and discovered that in order to move on to the others, you have to beat them in order. So I kinda need to finish the first one to keep going.

Which would be fine, except the infamous Yellow Devil at the end of the first Wily Stage is a huge pain in the ass. In the original Nintendo version of the game, you could take advantage of a glitch in the game to totally wipe the floor with this guy. You'd set your weapon to the Elec Man weapon, then hit the Yellow Devil with a shot of it. While the hit is actually hitting the enemy, you pause the game. Then you unpause, then pause again really fast. Repeat this. Every time you unpause the game, it hits the Yellow Devil again, so you can take the bastard out with one or two shots if you're good.

But they "fixed" that in the Anniversary Collection. No more pause trick against the Yellow Devil. Instead, he keeps kicking my ass over and over again. Ugh.

Tonight, Ev's gonna show me a Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyer (I think) interview he taped off PBS ages ago. It's supposed to be this really interesting interview, where Campbell (a Jungian thinker whose concept of heroic archetypes and conceptions of mythology and storytelling are world-reknowned and highly revered in many circles) just sits and talks about virtually everything for like six hours (we're only watching the first part tonight, I believe). That'll be cool.

Had a couple of strange dreams which I only half-remember. One dealt with this idea I had for a comic book about Batman. It was a weird cross between Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns, and Batman Beyond. Something about Batman deciding to retire and pass on his legacy to someone else or something, I dunno. It was weird, but in the dream I thought it was a great idea.

The second one is even more fragmented, though no less surreal. I was in a large parking lot, filled with cars and people moving around and between the cars. I was walking towards my car, and there were a couple of middle-aged, white-trash-looking people standing right next to it. For some reason, the passenger window was open, and there was a handful of pocket change on the dashboard. These people, whom I did not know, were digging through the change, looking at the various coins and making comments about rarity and stuff, and keeping the ones they liked. I recall chewing out, but I have no idea what I said, beyond a generic "what the hell do you think you're doing?!" It was rather bizzare.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Wilco, "The Late Greats"

No comments: