Friday, January 02, 2004

"Funky New Year"

Hey everyone. I hope you all had a wonderful New Year, as I know I did. I hung out with Chris and Jennifer, my former roommates (well, one was a roommate, the other was a de facto roommate) over at her parents' place in Midwest City. We sat up watching movies, shooting the bull, and basically just acting like we were still at Ozarks. Then Thursday, Jennifer's parents fed me (I'm never one to pass up a free home-cooked meal. I'm not an idiot, after all), and Chris, JP, and myself went and played pool with Jennifer's sister and a friend of said sister. Then I came back to Norman. In the meantime, Clif apparently forgot how to read the instructions I left him on how to work his minidisc player, and against all probability managed to screw things up pretty good. I swear, he's got some sort of plague hand when it comes to electronics. Worse even than my mother. But I think he got it resolved eventually. He damn well better have, anyway, because I don't want to have to try and coach him on the thing over the phone again.

Anyway, by all rights and reason, I should be in bed right now, as I have to wake up early and take my car into the shop to get the bumper replaced. Of course, that wouldn't make any sense now, would it? Going to bed so I can have a decent night's sleep and can get my car to the shop on time. Haha, what a funny man I am.

Granted, I didn't wake up until noon, so I guess it only makes sense that I'm not really tired after only 14 hours of consciousness.

I keep trying to figure out what my New Year's Resolutions are going to be. I know of a few I need to make, such as the cliched "lose some weight," "finish what I start," "stick to my schedules," and "stop trying to make my neighbors' heads explode using my mind powers," but I also think there ought to be something more...original and personal. Like "make Dim Bulb Comics the best damn comics site on the internet." "Manage to get paid to do what I love, whether it's write or draw or music." "Eradicate the source of crappy music." Something like that. I have lots of dreams, lots of hopes, and I can only hope that I'll maybe reach a couple of them this year. Getting into one of the graduate schools I applied to would be a nice step in the right direction. I know that both Dr. Dippel and Dr. Hart wrote private letters to David Cressy at Ohio State (my top US choice) in addition to the letters of recommendation they wrote to the university proper. I also got one to Ohio State from the President of the University of the Ozarks. I'm hoping credentials like those will go a long way towards getting me accepted and funded. That would be wonderful.

Everyone always goes on about how the New Year is a time to start over, to take stock of one's life, decide where you want to go, and make steps towards it. I guess I'm trying to do that, but really I'm not sure if I have a clean slate. Some of the stuff that was hanging over my head last year is still hanging there, oblivious to the ticking over of the cosmic odometer. Perhaps the New Year will grant me renewed, refreshed energy, and I can get some things done and over with. Here's to your new year, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, and whoever you are with--cheers, best of luck, and lots of love.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Barenaked Ladies, "The War on Drugs"

No comments: