Saturday, January 03, 2004

"Just Ego Tripping"

If I'm reading things right--and I'm not sure that I am--then according to the statistics Keenspace generates for our site, we're getting something like an average of 226 unique hits a day. But I've gotta be reading it wrong, that's the only thing I can determine. Adam and I together don't know that many people, especially since many of the people we do know overlap. There's no way that nearly 200 people I don't even know visit Dim Bulb on an average day. That's just insane, right?

Even if I'm reading the statistic wrong, and it's only half that...or even if it's the 155 Total Sites statistic (I can never remember if we go by Total Sites or Total Visits, or even if it's either one)...can there really be that many people visiting that I don't know? It's hard to believe.

Even if I find that hard to believe, another stat generated by Keenspace seems to verify it: in the Official Keenspace Guide, which lists all the Keenspace comics, there's a percentage of pageviews listed with your comic name. This percentage is basically the total percentage of all pages hosted by Keenspace that are viewed by anyone that happen to be your comic. Ours usually hangs at around 0.026 (keep in mind there are roughly 10,000 Keenspace comics, most of which have a 0.000 percentage). When I checked today, on a whim, it was up to 0.036. Perhaps that does account for the increase in total visitors to the page, I don't know.

Whatever has happened, if there are more people visiting the site, I wish a few of them would let us know they're actually doing so. It'd just be nice to hear from these people we don't actually know. And if it's all true, then hey--perhaps there's hope for Dim Bulb to become the uberpopular webcomic Adam and I feel it deserves to be.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: David Gray, "Silver Lining"

No comments: