Wednesday, January 28, 2004

"A Pocket Full of Mumbles"

Well, I got all the stuff I need to make the Yeti CDs. Ended up costing me over $45, so I hope there are enough people interested in these damn things to make it worth my while.

I've been listening to Bob Dylan's album Desire all day. I like every song on there except "Joey," and I really just don't care for the pacing or story in it. The rest of the album is great, and has a couple of his greatest story songs in it--"Hurricane," about Ruben Carter, and "Isis," a tale of love, graverobbing, and deceptive guys who steal your blanket. It's also got "Sara," the song he wrote about his ex-wife telling her just exactly how much she'd meant to him. Very moving song, really. It's just such a wonderful album, and so full of energy and surreal images.

I borrowed the fifth Harry Potter book from Beth last night after we'd watched the Sorcerer's Stone DVD. The Harry Potter books are a slight guilty pleasure, really. As a historian, I have to spend so much of my time reading dusty, ponderous tomes of long-dead people. It's nice to be able to relax once in a while with something a little less heavy, such as Harry Potter or a good Terry Pratchett novel. Admittedly, the Harry Potter books get darker and darker, but they are still children's books, and as such have a sort of levity to them that is sorely lacking in books about the Great War (World War I, for those of you not from Europe) and the horrors of trench warfare and Russian ballet.

As the weekend draws nearer, I'm really beginning to anticipate my impending trip. Monica emailed today and asked if I'd be willing to co-host the WA Press, acting as a sort of MC for the evening. I told her I'd be delighted, because frankly, I would be. I've really missed being involved in WA Press and Falstaff since I left Ozarks, and will gladly take this opportunity to expose new, fresh faces to its glory. The only thing missing is my sibling. If he were in the States right now, we could've done a Yeti show there, too. Ah well. I'll be hocking Yeti merch, so that's almost as good.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Simon and Garfunkel, "The Boxer"

No comments: