Thursday, September 08, 2005

"You Who Philosophize Disgrace"

My first evening of tutoring for Tutor Job B went well. All three of the kids I'm tutoring are very intelligent and willing to work to do well. The problem all three seem to have is one I'm very familiar with: consistency. They start off doing very well, then start to slack and coast. That was pretty much me throughout school. My job is, after getting them set up and started on the right path, to essentially keep riding them to keep up with their stuff. To make the techniques I teach them, in effect, habit. Once something becomes a strong habit, it's there for good. Seems simple enough.

The other interesting thing is that all three kids seem to have similar interests, broadly speaking. They're all three science and math guys, and dislike (or at least don't actively like) history and English, though they're still decent at it (I even spent a good ten minutes explaining to one of them why history is important, mostly because he rattled off the cliched "why do I need to know about history, anyway?" question. Like I was gonna miss a chance to evangelize for my discipline? I think not). My work is mostly in the helping them maintain their habits, so it'll be fairly easy for me. The mother of the two brothers I'm tutoring is actually an author and jokingly asked me if I'd be willing to edit her latest book, and I think I surprised her when I offered a semi-serious answer. So I might actually have even another job, albeit a short-term and probably not high-paying one. It'd be fun, though.

Anyway, tomorrow is just Huntington again. I might (if mom's deposited the money) go buy a bike. If not, I'll probably wait until next week, do a bit more comparison shopping. Friday is my interview with Attotink, so wish me luck with that I guess.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Love Minus Zero/No Limit"

3 comments:

Noise Monkey said...

The answer to why we need history...to justify carrying around large dusty books to drop on people we don't like.

Not like that needs justifying...

Chuck Cottrell said...

Shh! That's the reason we don't tell everyone! Otherwise, they'd know the secret historian plan for world domination.

Of course, this means you know too much, and we're either going to have to erase your mind (which we can do) or kill you. I leave that decision up to you.

Noise Monkey said...

eh...surprise me.