Saturday, September 10, 2005

"Telephone Line"

Quiet evening here at the apartment. Tim and Wendy are in Manassas celebrating his sister's birthday, so I'm relaxing and hanging out with the cats. I've been fighting the urge to take a nap since about 4.00 this afternoon, because I know I have to get up early tomorrow (and every day after that for the foreseeable future) and I'd never fall asleep tonight if I'd taken a nap. So the trick now is to stay awake just long enough to fall asleep at a decent hour, get my sleep cycle back on a reasonable pattern, and just roll with it.

Still, I must admit, I'll miss being able to sleep in every morning. But such is my burden.

Talked with Dad for awhile this afternoon. He (as well as most everyone else I've talked with so far) is very proud of me for getting a full-time job, even if it is just as a teaching assistant. He said he could hear the excitement in my voice when I left him a voicemail yesterday afternoon (Wendy mentioned the same thing), so I guess that's a good thing. Enthusiasm for one's job is important. I mean, I'm not real enthused about the job at Huntington anymore (I become more disillusioned with it each day), but I'm still going to try to put in my best effort each day until I finally leave (I'm thinking as soon as my current batch of SAT students are done, so am I. That seems fair. I warned these guys at the start that this was only a temporary job for me, and that I'd very likely leave after I got a full-time job so I actually have some time to do stuff other than work).

Tomorrow Wen's taking me out for lunch after church to celebrate my new job. She said something about "D.C." and "dim-sum," so we'll just have to see what she has in mind. Hey, I'm not gonna complain: I'm getting a free meal regardless of the circumstances. And come the end of September, I ought to have some really nice paychecks coming my way (note to self: ask school in Springfield if there's a signing bonus of any sort).

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Wallflowers, "All Things New Again"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chinatown. Fun little spot. I can't recall the name of the restaurant she took me to (years ago now). But it was good. Like a rolling buffet. Can't beat that. :)

Unless the weather's nasty. But it seems like it's finally coming back down in tempurature. 'Bout bloody time too. I'm soooo done with all the "why's my electric bill so high?"

Hot air=lots of AC=$$$ Do the math. :-p

Congrats on the job (and pass my congrats on the engagement to Miss Flora...while she still goes by such a name). ;-)

-Dav-

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I know you will do well -- I'm very excited for you!