Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Stone You When You're Playin' Your Guitar"

I have a job interview Friday. It's with a private school up in Springfield for a teacher's assistant position. Not exactly what I want, but it does have a benefits package. Sounds like I'd probably be working with college-bound LD students, which shouldn't be too much of a trial (famous last words, I'm sure). I mean, I spent four years working with LD college students at Ozarks, and several of the student-athletes at OU were LD, and quite a few of my kids at Huntington are LD...I've got experience, obviously. We'll see how it works out.

Today is my first day of tutoring for the Vienna center. I've got three kids at the moment, and depending on how Friday goes, I probably won't take on anymore (and may request that they cut back on my hours at Huntington...I don't want to spread myself too thin).

I've been on a Dylan kick this week. I picked up a copy of Mojo Magazine the other day at Borders, mostly because it had a disc of Dylan covers with it and an article on the 100 best Dylan songs. And an interview with Paul McCartney about his upcoming album (his producer, Nigel Godrich-- the guy who does Radiohead's albums--actually had the chutzpah to tell McCartney to go back and redo lyrics and tunes if he thought they were too cheesy or corny. That takes some balls, man). Anyway, reading all that Dylan stuff made me want to go and listen to his albums...all of them. Well, all that I own, anyway, which is close to the same thing. So I started with Freewheelin' Bob Dylan and started working my way forward chronologically, through his acoustic albums and into his electric period. I'm throwing in the concert albums from the Bootleg Series as they come up (though I accidentally skipped Live 1966...it was supposed to come before Blonde on Blonde, but I forgot, so it'll just have to be played after now). I should be through his '70s stuff by the tomorrow, and through the rest of his albums by the end of the week. I keep forgetting sometimes just how many Dylan CDs I actually own...not that it's a bad thing, mind you, to have this much Dylan. Perhaps a bit unhealthy, depending on who you ask...

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bob Dylan, "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent and my envy! I would love to work with LD students who are LD and college-bound. I think you will do well with such a position.

Remember that, technically, Asir and I both have the equivalent of LDs, and you had little problem explaining notions to us which were specific to your fields.

Good luck!

Noise Monkey said...

As everyone knows, LD stands for "lacking driftwood", which is only a problem when you're lost at sea and need to construct a rudimentary raft.