Thursday, September 29, 2005

"Or Remember The Sound Of My Own Name"

In an effort to give me an aneurism before my last day of work, the woman who does the scheduling at Huntington decided to totally disregard most of my scheduling restrictions next week when she decided when I'd be working.

See, I told them a few weeks ago that I could not work before 5.00 or 6.00 on any given day because of the difficulties of getting from Springfield back to Fairfax after teaching, especially given that I have staff meetings and afterschool clubs and the like that I have to participate in. We also arranged it so that I'm only supposed to be working with the SAT students. And they said this was all no problem.

Well, taking a look at my schedule for next week (my last full week with them), I see I have to go in at 4.30 on Tuesday, 4.30 on Thursday, and 4.00 on Friday. Now, the last time I checked a clock, 4.30 still came before 5.00 and definitely before 6.00.

The other problem is that they've got me working next Saturday...y'know, the day of the SAT. Surely there wouldn't be any SAT students that day, y'know? I imagine they'd all be...oh, I don't know, taking the SAT. So who the hell would I be working with, then, since our agreement was that I'd only be tutoring SAT kids?

Clearly, the woman is trying to punish me for deciding to quit because I wanted to have time to do things like plan for my classes and maybe, I dunno, sleep occasionally. It's also not like I didn't have several very legitimate reasons for not wanting to go directly from one job to another and work what are essentially 11 or 12 hour days three days per week. Apparently those concerns and issues are irrelevant to the scheduler, who just put me wherever she wanted.

The good thing is that I've got a couple of hours grace from covering for a coworker on Saturday. I plan to use those next week by convincing her to go in at 4.30 for me on Tuesday and Thursday. It only seems fair.

~chuck

Gorillaz, "Dare"

No comments: