Monday, February 09, 2004

"Losers: The Soundtrack"

With the immanent day that single people dread upon us, I thought it might be appropriate to share a selection of songs I put together a few years ago when I was bitter. I call it Losers: The Soundtrack, and I think if you look closely, you'll see a bit of a theme.

1. Soul Coughing--The Idiot Kings
2. Beck--Loser
3. Cake--Friend is a Four Letter Word
4. Ben Folds Five--Song for the Dumped
5. The Police--So Lonely
6. Seven Mary Three--Cumbersome
7. Green Day--Nice Guys Finish Last
8. Three Doors Down--Loser
9. Bob Dylan--Positively 4th Street
10. The Beatles--I'm a Loser
11. Smashmouth--Why Can't We Be Friends
12. Sting--She's too Good for Me
13. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers--Even the Losers
14. Reel Big Fish--She has a Girlfriend Now
15. Semisonic--Gone to the Movies
16. Radiohead--Creep
17. Moxy Fruvous--Hate Letter
18. Five Iron Frenzy--Pre-Ex-Girlfriend
19. The Police--Can't Stand Losing You
20. Edwin McCain--Sign on the Door
21. Santana--Winning

The thing about a lot of these songs is that they're ironic, or at the very least tongue in cheek. Some of them--such as the Semisonic tune, the Edwin McCain tune, and the Bob Dylan one--are on there mostly for the thematic content, even if the titles aren't quite so close. The Soul Coughing tune is on there mostly because it has a good groove and fits in theory, because I'm usually the king of morons when it comes to asking girls out. Plus, it just feels right as the opener. The Smashmouth song actually has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the songs thematically, as it's a plea for interracial harmony. But as Adam pointed out when I first put this set of songs together, it takes on a whole new meaning in this context. As for the Santana tune...well, I've always thought things should end with hope. And I really couldn't resist juxtaposing "Winning" with all the losing. And it ends the album on an upbeat note, which I do think is important.

A second volume of this has been in the works for a couple of years now. I've got enough songs to make it, I just don't happen to like all the songs as much. There are several that will definitely be on there, but a bunch of the songs I found were pop-punk/emo crap that was way too whiney. This isn't about being whiney--this is about poking fun at my situation in life, about laughing at it and moving on. This is about having fun.

Anyway, if you feel so inclined, try to assemble those songs. It's a fun little trip.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Santana, "Winning"