Friday, February 20, 2004

"Did Ye Get Healed?"

Life seems to be going pretty well. I really have nothing to complain about except my own laziness, something which could be corrected by either my acting like an adult or the right woman coming along and whipping me into shape. But yeah, things're good.

And yet...there's something hovering, just at the edge of conscious thought, something I cannot identify yet. Something intangible that haunts my nights and gnaws at my days. There's something wrong, and I don't know what it is. And that annoys me.

This afternoon, I learned the joys and glories and sheer addictiveness of website visitor statistic logs. Looking at the logs for Dim Bulb, it appears that we average about 40-60 unique visitors per day. That's actually more people than I know reading the comics, which makes me warm and happy in ways I can't speak about in polite company. The logs also provide a list of site referals, those sites from which people found a link to us. Most of them were as I suspected--links from The Jaded and from posts in various forums, from the two or three blogs that have linked us, etc. But there were a few sites--webcomics, usually--that had linked us without me knowing. I wish those who'd linked us would have told the Monkey or myself; there's a good chance we'd have linked them back. But it's flattering to know that someone out there that we don't know likes our stuff.

Similarly, I was puttering around in the Keenspace Forum earlier today, and someone mentioned in a post their thoughts on Crooked Halo. See, many months ago, back when Dim Bulb was just starting up on Keenspace, I'd posted in the forum asking for feedback on the comic. I got a rather mediocre review from the person who looked at my comic, which sorta hurt, but not really, because they had decent critiques and I think helped me figure out what direction to take the comic. Well, today, that same person happened to post in a thread I'd started to plug Dim Bulb, and what they said flattered me.

To quote: "I remember giving you a mediocre review, way back when... And I have to say, I was sadly mistaken - I read Crooked Halo on a regular basis, now. (I really need to update my links page... again...)"

That left me smiling vaguely for the rest of the day.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Lapdog, "Won't Let It"