Sunday, February 15, 2004

"Be Mine, Be Mine"

Well, another Valentine's Day has come and gone. I spent the day with Wendy and her boyfriend, Tim, and the evening with Beth (she was supposed to go tool around town with Wendy, Tim, and myself earlier, but was feeling under the weather at the time, and thus couldn't...heh...a meterology major, under the weather...I crack me up).

My trip home (Thursday and Friday) was quite nice. Thursday night, Wendy, Tim, and myself went to see the high school's dinner theatre, Lend me a Tenor. I was surprised at the quality of the performances--the show was stellar, and not just high school stellar, but of excellent quality period. The two male leads in particular had lots of energy and did a phenomenal job. Friday, I basically hung around home, got my hair cut, went to lunch with my grandmother, and did a whole lot of nothing. I napped all afternoon, which was nice.

Today (well, yesterday now), I got up early, went to ye ol' doughnut shop, and then headed back to the city to hang out with Wendy again. We went to the Omniplex, where I haven't been in nearly a decade. The place is still really cool, and actually quite educational. I don't know who developed that place, but they did an amazing job of making science interesting. We also caught a couple of the shows they do--one at the Omnidome I-Max theatre about the Lewis and Clark expedition, and then a planetarium show about the winter sky that was nifty (except the girl narrating had this annoying voice...very mechanical, and poor rhythm. She was talking in such a way that you knew she was trying to get out every sentence in exactly one breath, regardless of the length of the sentence). Then we went to the Myriad Botanical Gardens, which were very neat, very tropical (thus hot and humid--it was like an Oklahoma summer in the middle of February), and just all-around spiffy. After that, we attempted to visit both the state capitol and the governor's mansion, but both were closed to the public today. Instead, I showed Wendy and Tim my humble abode in the Norman ghetto. Wendy kept insisting I needed a cat, and I kept insisting I liked my furniture the way it was and my cables not chewed through. Then she and Tim headed out to go do the couple's thing for Valentine's Day, and I relaxed, checked email, etc. By chance, I ended up conversing with Beth via IM, and we decided (since she was feeling better after sleeping some) to have a movie night. We ended up getting three movies (they were 3 for $9.99 at Blockbuster): Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (which I hadn't actually seen all the way through before), Underworld (Matrix with crappy werewolf special effects), and Pitch Black (fun popcorn sci-fi). I rolled in from her place and movies about half an hour ago, actually.

So yeah, my Valentine's Day was pretty good. So good, in fact, that it never bothered me once that I'm single. It never felt weird, or depressing, or bitter, or anything like that. It was just a good day. I've been single on Valentine's Day for the past seven years, and this is the first one in that span of time that's gone by without me moping. I don't know if this means I was just too busy to ever think about it, or that I'm actually okay with being single now. I think it has more to do with the latter than the former, as I did spend a significant part of the day with Wendy and her boy, and as Wendy herself noted Thursday night, she was the walking embodiment of PDA.

And tomorrow it's back to the grind. Eight hours of work--ugh. Oh well--it's a significant amount of my paycheck, so I won't complain. Just need to find a new book to read, since I finished The Hobbit Friday night.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: David Gray, "Birds Without Wings"