Thursday, February 05, 2004

"Hey Now, You're An All Star"

I got an interesting email today. It was from Keenspace All Stars, a website devoted to "acknowledging the best of Keenspace," to quote the site. Interestingly enough, Crooked Halo was one of the comics on their list for the month. I have no idea who nominated or voted for me, but I'm very, very honored. I'm in the company of such Keenspacers as Count Your Sheep, The Jaded, Mixed Myth, Fallen Angel Used Books, and Reasoned Cognition. Anyway, for those of you reading this (you probably also read the comic, I'm assuming), thanks for reading Halo, and I'll try to maintain a level of quality that deserves such recognition.

In other news, I got an old Phil Collins album on CD today. It's No Jacket Required, which was one of my favorite tapes when I was younger. The album's chock-full of great tunes that I know by heart and still remembered, even though I haven't heard most of the songs in years and years.

I remember when that tape was part of my usual musical regimine. The other tapes were Collins' Face Value (another great album), Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever, Into the Great Wide Open, and Damn the Torpedoes, Led Zeppelin's ZOSO (Led Zeppelin IV, the one that had weird symbols for the title), the two Traveling Wilburys albums, and the Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker. These were the albums that I constantly listened to until I got a CD player and CDs.

When I wasn't listening to those tapes, I was in the living room listening to dad's records. He had lots of great stuff--Beatles albums, the Eagles, Electric Light Orchestra, solo stuff from the former Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, and others that I can't even begin to remember without going back in and looking at them. Granted, I mostly just listened to the Beatles records...the number of times I sat there with Help! or Sgt. Pepper's filling the headphones and my ears are too many to count.

So all in all, it's been a good day. My run today was good--it took me about half an hour to run around my neighborhood and then around campus, so that's roughly 3 miles or so (because that's about how long it should take me to run three miles, even if I'm running a 10 minute mile, which I think I'm moving faster than that). Also took Ev up to Circuit City in OKC to exchange a DVD player that didn't work, and that worked out well for him (they gave him store credit, which was better than what I thought would happen--I figured they wouldn't even let him exchange it period). All told, life is pretty good, and could be much, much worse.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Phil Collins, "Inside Out" (it was always my favorite song on the album)

No comments: