Thursday, March 30, 2006

March Madness

So this article over at Fox Sports complains about how the NCAA basketball tournament is arbitrary and irrational, how the best teams in the nation aren't necessarily the ones that make it into the finals, and because of this the system is flawed.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that, I think. Seriously, if you're ranked number 1, yeah, you're probably ranked that for a reason. But if you can't beat the lower-ranked teams...well, do you really deserve to be the national champion? The author of the linked article complains that teams like Duke and Villanova are athletic, exceptional teams and deserve to win. My understanding of sports was that the team that deserves to win is the team that plays the best. The second you start skewing things in favor of the big dogs just because you think the big dogs ought to win is the second you screw things up royally.

Sure, while I'm mad that none of my picks made it into the Final Four, I accept that that's just how the tournament goes sometimes. If you start changing the rules just so your team makes it and someone else's team doesn't, how is it fair competetition anymore?

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Glen Phillips, "Thankful"

1 comment:

Noise Monkey said...

But...they're due!


I don't know if that means they should win or they should give birth, though...