Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"Is This Your Grave, Jackie Brown?"

The birthday was a low-key day, as it turns out. Which is fine by me, really; everyone knows I'm not real big on the huge blowout parties and all that jazz. I like things low-key and simple. I went to work, chatted with the family, relaxed around the apartment, and watched more Justice League than is actually healthy for an individual (I've watched all 26 episodes of Season 1 since I bought it like a week ago. And all 13 episodes of Batman Beyond Season 1. And a quarter of Season 3 of The Simpsons. God, I have no life). I also picked up the Bruce Springsteen box set Tracks last night at Best Buy. So far I've only listened to about 2/3 of the first disc, but it's great. Like Dylan, Springsteen has had a habit of recording way more songs than he can actually cram onto an album, and since he usually did song selection for his records based on what fit the overall feeling of the album rather than on the basis of one song being that much better than another, it means there's a lot of excellent unreleased material available. I'm sure the next 3 1/3 discs will be equally compelling.

I've noticed the absence of Michelle from my life in a fairly pronounced way these past few weeks. Things are...quieter, for one, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way. Her sudden decision to stop being my friend not only cut me off from virtually all the people I met through her (who, bless'm, still actually try to include me in their gatherings), but cut me off from her. I hadn't realized how much I enjoyed her company or looked forward to the time I got to spend with her. There's really no way to convey that to her, since I doubt she'd take a phone call from me or read an email if I sent one, but there it is anyway. I really do miss her, and there doesn't seem to be a damn thing I can do about it.

I think I'm starting to come down with a minor illness. My throat's been feeling weird since yesterday morning and I'm a little stopped up. I also just feel generally exhausted and shut down, which isn't a good way for a teacher to be...especially since I have an evaluation review thing with my boss tomorrow afternoon. I'm kinda dreading it, in a way, 'cause I know they're going to find fault with several of my methods and efforts, but I'm hoping there will be some positive to it. Wish me luck.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bruce Springsteen, "Zero and Blind Terry"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss you too. I am so sorry.