Sunday, March 12, 2006

"Glory Days"

It's been a hell of a long weekend, and it's just an hour or so into Sunday (officially...still Saturday to me, since I haven't gone to bed yet). Spent all Friday night/early Saturday morning at Wen's school for the lock in. I spent nearly 5 hours playing guitar at the thing, which was a lot of fun, but now my fingers hurt like hell. I'm definitely not used to playing that much.

After the lock in, we came back to the apartment and were awake long enough to fall into bed. I got up around 2.00, putzed around for a bit, then decided to go back to bed. I finally dragged myself out of the sack at 5.30, showered, and headed to Springfield for the school auction. Looks like we made some decent money, though I think (and a few others agree with me) that it'd be easier and probably more productive to just ask each student's parents to donate something like $50. It'd be easier, less time-consuming, and we wouldn't have to have auction items eat into our profits. The auction, while a cute idea, is really just not effective in a cost-benefit analysis (the humanities scholar in me dies a little bit each time I use a phrase like "cost-benefit analysis"). I finally got sick of that around 9.15 or so and left. Chatted with mom on the phone for a bit (and discovered an interesting bit of news), then sat and watched the first disc of an anime I picked up on a whim, Rune Soldier. So far, it's fairly amusing; and while I like the style of the show, some of the low-budget animation techniques are kinda bugging me. It wouldn't have taken that much more effort to really animate certain movements rather than just panning a single image like they do. But that's a small complaint. The characters are interesting and I like they way they interact, and a magician who uses his fists more than his magic is always good for a laugh.

Anyway, off for bed. You'd think having spent the better part of the day asleep would mean I'm not tired, but coming on the heels of 26 hours of being awake means it really only put a small dent in my already-sizable sleep deficit.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: Bruce Springsteen, "Dancing in the Dark"

No comments: