Thursday, March 23, 2006

"It Smells Of Cheap Wine And Cigarettes"

Talked with my grandparents today. Turns out they're gonna come visit next month while I'm on Spring Break (advantage of being a teacher: you still get breaks), so that's gonna be cool. We're going to hit DC and check out some sites, do the whole tourist thing (since my grandfather says they haven't been to DC since like the 1960s). I'm really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow, thank God, is Friday. We're having a pizza party for the 8th grade class 'cause we feel they deserved one and were gipped in a potato decorating contest on St. Patrick's Day (yes, a potato decorating contest. We decorated potatos; one was a couch potato, the other was a tator tot complete with diaper. We thought they were damn creative, thank you very much). So that should be fun. I was also reminded at work today that most of our students are not auditory learners and don't do well with the lectures style of teaching (which is funny, really, 'cause I've noticed that my boring ol' lecture style of teaching has been pretty damn effective, all things considered. A quick look at the students' exam grades would prove that, I think. They may not be getting every single detail, but on average I think they're doing pretty good). I'm trying to keep that in mind when I do my lesson plans, but it's kinda tough sometimes making history hands-on, y'know?

Okay, off to bed. Tomorrow is another day, though mine won't be nearly as long as Wen's (who has to get up at 4.30 to go to New York City for a fieldtrip. I say that's one hell of a fieldtrip).

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Wallflowers, "One Headlight"

No comments: