Monday, November 24, 2003

"This Place Won't Speak Its Language To Me"

Excitement! Adventure! Really wild things! I've experienced none of these of late, but that's okay. Life doesn't always have to be drama, honest.

The weekend didn't go exactly as planned. For starters, I didn't get to play racquetball Friday. Why not, you ask? Well, seems that in order to play racquetball at the OU Fitness Center, you not only have to have a racquet and balls, but you have to have the stupid goggles. For some sort of insurance purpose, they say. Bollucks to that, I say. If I want to put out my own damn eyes when playing racquetball, then by God, I'll put out my own damn eyes!

So instead I went for a run. Dominic ran with me (at the nice indoor track they have at the Fitness Center), which meant we ran faster than I usually manage (about an 8 to 8 1/2 minute mile pace, whereas I usually go about 9 to 9 1/2 per mile for distance running), but I made him run farther than he's used to. So it all evened out in the end.

Friday night, Jess, Dom, and I actually ate (and enjoyed!) Chinese food. For me, this was the first time in a long while. I'm not a big fan of Chinese food, thanks entirely to a nasty episode of food poisoning back in high school, but I've come to the point where I can usually tolerate it once in a while. This was actually good, even, and I always enjoy the chance to try a different take on curry (I love me some curry!).

After Chinese, we went and saw the movie Secondhand Lions. Had Michael Caine and Robert Duvall, as well as a slightly grown-up Halley Joel Osment (the "I see dead people" boy). All turned in a great performance, and I must say I laughed for most of the movie. It was just so warm and colorful, the sort of live-action movie Disney used to be able to make but seems to have forgotten how (think original Parent Trap).

Saturday was spent researching and watching anime. Ev has now seen the second DVD of Blue Seed, and I think he's enjoying the experience. He keeps going on about how he's enjoying it, anyway, so I guess he's telling me the truth and not just saying stuff to keep from hurting my feelings.

Sunday was more research, a sore knee (still not sure what was wrong, but it doesn't really hurt now, so I'm not going to worry about it), and really freakin' cold. Like, damn. It went from 70 to 25 in the space of like 12 hours. Ah, the glory of living in Oklahoma, land of inconsistant weather patterns!

Looks like I'm going to try and spend part of Finals Week at Ozarks, because Mr. Vander Leest is rumored to be returning to this area of the country. I originally thought that OU's finals week was the week before Ozarks's, but this later proved to be false. That's okay, though--I only have one "final," and it's really just turning in a paper, watching a film, and eating a meal with the rest of the class (all one other student and the professor). I also think it actually occurs before finals week, so I figure if I work a couple of days (need money, need money for rent and such, since I won't work all of the rest of December), then head over to ol' Arkansas to visit with folks.

Well, off to work on my paper more.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Toad the Wet Sprocket, "So Alive"

No comments: