Tuesday, November 25, 2003

"But I Can Rock As Good As Gibraltar"

Paper writing is an interesting process for me. On the one hand, I need to be able to sit and do it for prolonged periods of time. That's how I write best--in large, open blocks. On the other hand, I'm easily distracted, and I get bored with just writing real fast. But I can't write if I'm busy doing other stuff.

For instance, yesterday was a terrible day for my writing. I sat down here at work to start writing my paper, and got about a paragraph or two into it. I was just starting to feel the ol' writing flow, when a student comes in with a paper for me to look at. So I look at the paper, and return to my own. Well, I've lost the thread, so I have to pick it back up (this sounds an awful lot like knitting, now that I think about it). But I'd get another paragraph or two into the paper, and I'd be interrupted again by a student who needed a paper proofread. This happened like three times during the course of the morning. By 11:00am, I'd given up on getting anything accomplished at work. When I went home that afternoon, I didn't get much more accomplished, because I hadn't been able to establish a groove, a rhythm in which to write. And the way I write, I have to be in the mood for it. I can't just start papers two weeks early just because that's easier; I can only start a paper early if I have inspiration for it.

All that being said, I also discovered I don't have enough research to complete the paper. Need a few more books, really, so I have to make a trip to the library this afternoon to attempt to find said books. Because y'know, I didn't like being able to see my desk and the floor around it. No, the piles of books look much better.

I'm finding it harder and harder to wake up in the morning. That might have something to do with staying up late at night so often, but that could just be mere conjecture.

Blarg. It's now 9:30am, and I really should have started writing about an hour ago on this damn paper. Why is nothing getting done? Because I'm a lazy sonuvabitch, that's why. Ah well, off for adventure and excitement in the land of history.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: George Harrison, "Wreck of the Hesperus"

No comments: