Monday, November 03, 2003

"Some Are Dead And Some Are Living"

I heard from a third party last night that an acquaintance of mine, Linda Carcamo, died on Friday. I'm not sure of the details or specifics, other than she apparently drowned, but the news still comes as a shock.

Linda was a year older than me to the day. We always joked about having the same birthday. She was in my graduating class at Ozarks, and she was a bright student. I know she was from Central or South America, but I'm ashamed to admit I don't remember what country exactly.

But that was immaterial. She was a warm, caring individual who never got mad or angry. I never heard her say anything mean or negative to anyone in the four years I knew her. I'm quite sad to say I never got to know her as well as I should have, but you don't really think about that sort of thing when you're college-age, do you? I mean, at eighteen, nineteen, you're pretty certain that you'll live forever, regardless of the evidence. But that's not the case; we're mortal, we're temporary. It just makes me feel almost sick to know that good people like Linda die for stupid, stupid reasons, and evil, cruel people go on living long, comfortable lives. Where's the cosmic, karmic justice? I guess Billy Joel was right when he said "only the good die young," but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

To those who knew Linda, my heart is with you. Though I only knew her briefly, and never as well as I wanted, she touched my life in a very positive, reaffirming way, and she will be greatly missed. Others will be able to describe her life more eloquently than I, and in greater detail, but I hope that my words can be of comfort to someone, even if it's only to me.

~chuck

Song of the Moment: The Beatles, "In My Life"

No comments: