Wednesday, November 12, 2003

"Last Train To Clarksville"

So it's official: I'm finally taking a trip to Ozarks this weekend. Needless to say, I am very happy about that. I haven't seen any of the Ozarks crew since July. July, people. It's been like 3 1/2, 4 months. That's too long, especially since I didn't get to see everyone on that trip.

Anyway, the very prospect of the Ozarks trip excites me, and I can hardly wait until Friday. But, alas, I have to--there is much to be done between now and then. It does mean I have to start thinking about what CDs I'm going to take. This is a more important task than you can imagine, for the CDs I pack are my only form of entertainment for a good eight hours while I'm on the road. I usually use a case that holds 24, so that gives me a decent variety to choose from. It's just a matter of determining my mood. Do I want to listen to contemporary stuff? Or am I in a strictly classic rock mood? Perhaps a mixture of both? Do I want to listen to polished, carefully and exactingly produced music, or am I in the mood for something with more rough edges? What about lyrical and musical themes? Am I in the mood for slow, sad stuff, or uptempo, energetic stuff?

What'll end up happening is a mixture of all of the above, with a liberal dose of complete randomness thrown in. So far, I've come up with the following obvious choices:

The Beatles, "Hard Day's Night"
Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts, "Cowboy Bebop" Mix
Van Morrison, "What's Wrong with this Picture?" (or maybe "Moondance," can't decide)
The Wallflowers, "The Wallflowers"
Bob Dylan, "Live 1966"
Gorillaz, "Gorillaz"
Counting Crows, "Hard Candy"
Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Coil"
George Harrison, "All Things Must Pass"
Dire Straits, "Sultans of Swing: The Best of Dire Straits"
Mark Knopfler, "Ragpicker's Dream"

There will be many others, I assure you, but those are the ones I've determined so far.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I'll get to see some friends, take my mind off the hook for a couple of days, and just sit back and groove. And probably get fed. If nothing else, a stop will be made at the infamous Dodge's, and Pizza Stix will be had. Mmm, Pizza Stix. I don't know who came up with those artery-clogging darlings, but they are the epitome of mankind's culinary arts. I mean, c'mon--a flakey pastry shell containing meat, cheese, and all of it deep-fried to a golden brown perfection. It's the perfect food, the solid equivalent of ambrosia. I've been going through withdrawals since July, and I think it's why I've had the shakes the past few days...though that could be related to sticking my finger in the light socket as well, but I have my doubts.

~chaos cricket

Song of the Moment: Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts, "Call Me, Call Me"

No comments: